Are you ready for your next career challenge?
We are looking for a skilled and experienced Substation Physical Designer to work out of our Chicago office or remotely
In this role, you will use accepted practices and standards to create substation design drawing packages and required documents for electric power substations from 12kV to 500kV.
Substation Physical designer responsibilities include:
- Develop new, or modify existing, electrical layout/plan of substation equipment and structures.
- Develop new, or modify existing, substation foundation layout/plan drawings.
- Develop new, or modify existing, section/elevation views from layout/plan drawings.
- Develop new, or modify existing, conduit layout/plan drawings.
- Develop new, or modify existing, substation grounding layout/plan drawings.
- Develop new, or modify existing, control building layout/plan and section/elevation drawings.
- Develop complete bill of materials for all required electrical equipment and materials.
- Review and comment on equipment drawings received from vendors and manufacturers.
- Collaborate with other disciplines (eg. Civil Engineers) as necessary to complete assigned work.
- Assist the project team with development of processes and procedures to increase team efficiency.
- Perform basic engineering calculations to support engineering design.
- Apply relevant client, national and state standards to each assignment as required.
Substation Physical Designer Qualifications:
- HS Diploma with 3-5 years of direct substation physical electrical design experience using CAD software on electric utility industry projects.
- A combination of education and a demonstrated related experience may be considered in lieu of education and experience requirements.
- Solid understanding and application of design software such as: MicroStation and AutoCAD.
- Proficient with Windows-based software such as Word and Excel which are frequently used to develop project deliverables.
- Ability to learn and effectively utilize new design software programs.
- Advanced ability to utilize 2D and 3D applications to prepare engineering drawings.
- Ability to work in a team environment with others including, but not limited to Project Managers, Engineers, Designers and drafters in multi-discipline groups
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong attention to details and work product quality.
Substation Physical Designer Preferred Experience/Additional information:
- Associate Degree in Engineering Technology or Drafting Technology.
- Experience with SDS 3D inventor is a plus.
- Experience with AutoCAD, Microstation, and other 3D applications is a plus.
Leidos is a trusted technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms
Pay Range:Pay Range $46,800.00 - $72,000.00 - $97,200.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.