Leidos has an exciting opportunity for an Industrial Hygienist to join our team supporting operations at NASA Ames Research Center located at Moffett Field, California. In this role you will work with a dynamic group to find solutions to challenging problems, have the opportunity to support NASA Ames mission, and work under leadership who support career growth. Since 1939, Ames has led NASA in conducting world-class research and development in aeronautics, exploration technology and science aligned with the center's core capabilities.
The Industrial Hygienist will apply knowledge and experience in industrial hygiene concepts, processes, procedures with the goal of promoting continuous improvement to ensure a safe workplace environment. The successful candidate will lead programs, perform various monitoring (noise, air, chemical, lab safety, food sanitation) and provide training to eliminate occupational hazards. This role is responsible for verifying compliance with federal and state occupational health regulations, as well as achieving established corporate standards.
- Manage industrial hygiene programs and perform comprehensive annual program reviews, including lessons learned recommendations for improvement.
- Facilitate in-person and online training sessions to groups of up to 50 participants, which include employees, researchers, and interns.
- Conduct large-scale audits for industrial hygiene related hazards; make recommendations and implement corrective actions.
- Administer personal / area noise monitoring to recommend engineering controls and appropriate HPD noise reduction rating. Create detailed noise map with sound pressure levels to delineate hazardous noise areas.
- Develop comprehensive sampling plan and perform personal / area air monitoring to test for a range of chemicals. Use data to recommend engineering controls, administrative controls, and PPE.
- Investigate indoor air quality concerns; work with facilities and maintenance teams to address and resolve.
- Perform fume hood surveys following ASHRAE 110 guidance and assess local exhaust ventilation using the ACGIH Ventilation Manual.
- Utilizing the ACGIH Ventilation Manual, offer recommendations for new ventilation design and perform calculations to recommend design requirements.
- Calculate potential for oxygen deficiency and chemical gas buildup in case of accidental compressed gas / cryogen release. Perform quantitative respirator fit tests for all employees at ARC wearing elastomeric respirators.
- Complete quarterly food sanitation inspections of the 3 on-site food service facilities, and inspect NASA ARC sponsored events serving food.
- Perform asbestos/lead pre-renovation building surveys and provide oversight of asbestos / lead abatement.
- Remain current on industry standards by reading scientific journals on the latest research.
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Hygiene (or related field) and 8+ years of related experience. Or, Master's Degree in Industrial Hygiene (or related field) and 6+ years of experience.
- Experience managing Industrial Hygiene Programs (ex. indoor air quality, hearing conservation program, chemical hygiene, laboratory safety plans, ventilation, biosafety, nanomaterial, and asbestos / lead.
- Experience developing and managing large-scale tracking / inventory database.
- Experience writing and critically-reviewing technical reports (executive summary, process background, means / methods, results, discussions, recommendations).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written). Adaptable with the ability to multi-task.
- Solution-focused with a commitment to health and safety.
- MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) is an asset, or ability to obtain within 12 months.
- Experience working with a defined Statement of Work or other contract-based employment.
- Knowledge of AIHA’s Mathematical Models for Estimating Occupational Exposure to Chemicals.
- Knowledge of quantitative risk assessment and exposure modeling tools, such as ALOHA and AIHA’s IHMOD2, IHSkinPerm, and OHDMod applications.
- Experience working at NASA centers.
Pay Range:Pay Range $84,500.00 - $130,000.00 - $175,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.