At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Are you ready to challenge yourself with an organization that encourage & support career growth on an enterprise-wide scale? Your greatest work is ahead!
We are in search of a Senior Network Security Engineer to join our National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Cyber Security Center (NCSC) Security Engineering & Operations (SEO) team. As a Senior Network Security Engineer, you will play a valuable part in supporting the NCSC’s mission to protect NOAA networks, computers, programs and data from cyber-attack damage and unauthorized access. In this role, you will provide a support engineering role to the enterprise network security solutions such as firewalls, switches, IPS, tap aggregation, packet capture, content filtering and security automation tools. You will primarily work on senior level projects and assist in developing and implementing large changes to support the Network Security Engineering team and the larger corporate initiatives.
As a Senior Engineer on the Network Security Engineering team, you will interact regularly with the Infrastructure, Applications, SIEM/SOAR, ISSO, Vulnerability Assessment teams, and on-site technical resources to ensure both the security and on-going stability of NOAA network.
You will be part of a fantastic team working on multiple information systems in a high demand setting ensuring the uninterrupted and secure day to day operation of the cyber security program.
We're looking for a candidate who can support this role from Fairmont, WV or Silver Spring, MD.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive while being challenged, keep reading!
- Provide technical services for the NOAA FISMA High system computers and networks used by the NCSC and ESOC to execute against their functions. This includes, but is not limited to, software/hardware patching and NIST 800-53rd high-impact security control configurations.
- Support the NOAA cyber security mission by building, configuring, troubleshooting, and updating the network security capabilities that protect NOAA core networks and information.
- Plan and perform maintenance and upgrade of Juniper network routers, Gigamon Network Terminal Access Point (TAP), Fortinet firewalls, Stealthwatch, remote access systems, and network management systems
- Monitor network connectivity and ensure high quality data transmission using standard network tools (ex: Netbrain, Ansible, or Nagios)
- Serve as a liaison with 3rd party vendors and providers and be able to coordinate troubleshooting and provide real time updates via standard collaboration tools for Google Meeting or Skype for Business
- Create the established network security processes to defend and operate the national NOAA network.
- Provide technical expertise to large or complex projects
- Provide direct end user support to a diverse user base ranging from average desktop users to other IT and Information Security Professionals
- Establish and maintain standard operating procedures for operations team members
- Must have network and firewall engineering experience with designing, implementation, and maintaining Layer 2 and 3 networking devices and/or firewall devices such as Juniper, Dell, Cisco, Fortinet, or Palo Alto
- Participate in an on-call rotation to provide emergency support for the corporate network security environment.
- Additional tasks as assigned by management.
- Bachelor's Degree and 8+ years of relevant experience, including 4+ years in an enterprise network or security environment. Additional years of relevant experience, training, and/or professional certifications will be considered in lieu of Bachelor's degree.
- 4+ years of design, development, integration, implementation, operations and analysis of cyber security technologies
- Strong knowledge of the OSI 7-layer model
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP and common application layer protocols
- Knowledge of network systems management principles, models, methods (e.g., end-to-end systems performance monitoring), and tools.
- Skill in applying and incorporating information technologies into proposed solutions
- Knowledge of cybersecurity and privacy principles
- Ability to work and brief customers to include senior management
- Knowledge of management of classified systems and the required security guidelines associated with secure facilities
- Experience with Information Assurance (IA) hardening and compliance, i.e. STIG & DSS compliance, documentation, etc.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with other system administrators, system engineers, and network engineers in a team environment
- Ability and drive to quickly learn new software and IT concepts
- Developing the application firewall concepts and functions (e.g., Single point of authentication/audit/policy enforcement, message scanning for malicious content, data anonymization for PCI and PII compliance, data loss protection scanning, accelerated cryptographic operations, SSL security, REST/JSON processing).
- Network/Cyber Security Training or Certification (ie Securty+, Network+, SPLUNK, FireEye, CCNA, CCIE, etc.)
- Knowledge of NIST SP 800 53 series or ISO 27000 series documents
- Understanding of advanced threat detection in an enterprise environment
- Understanding of malware families, their types, and the threat they pose
- Experience designing, developing, integrating, implementing, operating, and analysis of cybersecurity technologies
- Skill in troubleshooting and diagnosing cyber defense infrastructure anomalies and work through resolution
- Skill in independently making configuration updates to ensure system availability requirements
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills and demonstrates poise and ability to act calmly and competently in high-pressure and high-stress situations
- Understanding of accepted security practices, troubleshooting issues, attack vectors and customer support
Clearance / Citizenship:
- US Citizenship is required
- Must be able to obtain and maintain security clearance, specifically DoD/Secret Clearance or TS/SCI (Interim Secret acceptable).
- Fairmont, WV
- Silver Spring, MD
- Remote/Telework pending customer approval
Pay Range:Pay Range $84,500.00 - $130,000.00 - $175,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.