We are in search of a Chief Operations Engineer to join our team at the Federal Trade Commission located in Washington, D.C. In this role, you will be responsible for managing the interoperation of the multiple technical areas contained in the Task Order. The Chief Engineer will take the lead in the identification, formulation, and presentation of performance and technology improvements under the continuous improvement program. The position requires strong communication skills, effective customer relationship management, proactive engagement and intellectual curiosity, and open communication between Service Desk, other vendor teams, and peer team members.
- Provide strategic direction for the operation of the IT infrastructure at the enterprise level. Drive the process of improving the customer’s IT environment and operations.
- Participate in customer IT infrastructure strategy planning activities, bringing a current knowledge and future vision of infrastructure technology and systems and best practices as related to the needs of the business.
- Develop, deliver, and defend trade studies, cost/benefit analyses, technical documentation, recommendations, and briefings.
- Engage across all IT domains, including but not limited to, network, server (Windows and Unix), data, storage, virtualization, and security.
- Ensure interoperability of infrastructure components, development of infrastructure architecture, service delivery standards, and procedures for the enterprise.
- Provide tactical direction for infrastructure operations and maintenance at the enterprise level.
- Provide current and future state information necessary for annual FISMA audits.
- Actively participate in the change management process and review all proposed configuration changes. Ensure the correctness and integrity of solutions submitted by our team as well as relevant submissions by peer teams.
- Establish and lead a Continuous Improvement Program (CIP) that identifies opportunities to improve IT operations in terms of efficiency, effectiveness, and quality. Leverage all sources of input for prospective analysis as part of the CIP – ticket analysis, anecdotal, observation, escalations, outage review, etc. Drive the continuous improvement program within the internal team and the customer team.
- Develop estimates for project improvements to be proposed to the customer.
- Establish and build positive working relationships with customer team members at the technical, business, and executive level to develop and sustain a vision for the IT infrastructure.
- Support the team’s achievement of program Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Attend technical and recurring status and other meetings as required.
- Provide specifications for system and network architectures and ensure architectures and designs are documented and actively managed. Ensure a well-maintained repository of architecture documentation.
- Interact daily with the PM, Ops Manager, Network Ops Lead, and customer Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to discuss the state of the network environment as well as tactical and strategic improvements.
- Evaluate and recommend modernization opportunities including needs assessments and new technologies and enhancements. Adopt FTC’s “Cloud Smart” approach to leveraging cloud-based environments and services and support & further instigate migration to the cloud.
- Support FTC’s procurement process, obtaining and providing quotes for equipment and services as required.
- 10+ years of experience in the IT field with a combination of engineering, administration, and leadership roles.
- A Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology related field or significant related experience at a mastery level demonstrating capability.
- Familiarity with process frameworks such as the ITIL framework
- Demonstrated ability to define current and target state architectures, transition architectures and roadmaps.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement performance optimizations such as improving scalability, availability, throughput, failover, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to lead architecture efforts that require close collaboration with project teams and business stakeholders. Must be able to translate business requirements into technical requirements and vice versa. Must be able to converse with non-technical stakeholders in a manner that is clear and understandable.
- Demonstrated ability to work with both senior management level executives and development teams.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, assess and design for cloud hosting platforms and cloud-based solutions.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to collaborate with teammates, customers, and business leaders effectively.
- Demonstrated deep experience in one or more technical areas across networks, storage, servers, and databases. Demonstrated experience with modern tool sets that support IT operations and maintenance.
- Ability to work onsite at our customer’s primary location in Washington, D.C. Onsite/near-site is required to support onsite activities and interaction with customer SMEs. Up to 50% remote work is acceptable with proximity to Washington, D.C. sites within one hour commute time.
- Willingness to travel if required in support of job responsibilities.
- ITIL V3 Foundations Certification.
- Experience with ZScaler ZIA and ZPA.
- ZScaler certifications
Pay Range:Pay Range $118,300.00 - $182,000.00 - $245,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.