The US Government uses space systems to solve many complex problems to protect our warfighters and gather information on threats to our national interest. The Leidos National Security Space (NSS) Space Sensors Branch performs space payload systems research and development (R&D) to create innovative one-of-a-kind solutions to these complex Customer needs. We are looking for a hands-on designer who enjoys designing, building, and testing space hardware systems in a collaborative environment
NSS Space Sensors Branch has an opportunity for a Mechanical Designer to join our team in San Diego, CA, to work on the research, design, development, and test of optical payload systems for Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) and Space Situational Awareness (SSA) missions. Programs are funded by multiple US Government sponsors, industry, as well as Internal Research and Development (IR&D) efforts. The Mechanical Designer will complete lays outs, drawing, and revising detailed part, assembly, and installation engineering drawings from basic layouts, established references, and standard data in a field of specialization such as structures, devices, mechanics, electrical, or electronics for opto-mechanical systems. Work is completed through computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools such as, CAD or CAM. Duties include completing details of major layout drawings prepared by others in accordance with standard engineering drafting practices, determining scaling, inserting necessary reference planes, centering and dimension lines, hidden line interpolations, and sectioning, preparing specifications for parts, assemblies, and installations, preparing complete production detail drawings, contributing design modifications to improve quality of product and/or facilitating manufacturing operations.
- Successful candidate can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment providing drafting support for multiple project teams to complete engineering packages.
- Responsible of data management to include developing procedures and guidelines for project data files, documentation, and procedures for back up of engineering documentation.
- Attends project meetings to ensure CAD work is on schedule.
- Candidate should be competent at applying practices to solve various engineering problems with practical solutions within timely manner and budget limitations.
- Able to develop and release designs from concept to production-ready levels.
- Prepare designs and drawings from scratch utilizing reference drawings, images, PDF’s, and hand sketches.
- Follows-through with designs in production and incorporates design changes via engineering changes.
- Full understanding on preparing drawings to scale and dimensioning correctly, using different layouts and paper settings.
- Able to create structure drawings, hardware drawings, maps utilizing coordinates, basic understanding of permit drawings and others.
- Ensures that deliverables are accurate and compliant to our Quality Control Procedures.
- Ability to identify the needs of the engineering clients to gain basic understanding of upcoming drawing needs.
- BS degree and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Master’s with 6-10 years of prior relevant experience. Associates Degree in relevant field and additional years of experience will be considered
- Highly proficient in Solidworks
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to collaborate and remain calm and professional in a fast-paced environment
- Good time management skills.
- Willingness to put in extra effort.
- Quality control and quality assurance
- Must have the ability to obtain a Secret security clearance
- Degree in engineering technology or similar
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.