Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
We are seeking a Senior Ceramic Engineer with expertise in ceramic materials to join our team in Albany, OR. The position will allow for a hybrid of onsite and remote (one day/week) research and development support for the NETL R&D facility in Albany, OR. This position will be a part of a distributed, multidisciplinary team working on the cutting edge of ceramic matrix composite (CMC), thermal/environmental barrier coatings (TBC/EBC), and refractory ceramics research. The candidate should possess knowledge of and practical experience with conducting research on processing-microstructure-property-performance relationships on ceramic materials. A practical knowledge of characterization techniques is required.
This work will involve a scientific, and technically-oriented national laboratory team, participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and computer scientists that produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems, to advancing technologies that produce, transport, and utilize hydrogen and other fuels, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled women and men at NETL’s three research sites – Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Evaluate refractory ceramics in simulated gasifier environments
- Characterize refractory degradation using SEM, XRD, EPMA, Laser Confocal Microscope
- Contribute to the EBC development from design to performance evaluation
- Develop potential projects on CMCs.
- Collect, analyze, and report experimental data from experiments.
- Experience with data processing and analysis software as well as Microsoft Office products including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel is required.
- Participate and present results in regular team meetings, national conferences.
- Write manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Ph.D. in materials science and engineering or a closely related field with an emphasis in research on ceramic materials with 3+ years of postgraduate research and development experience in laboratory operations
- Must have experience with refractory ceramics with a preference in simulated gasifier environments
- Must have experience with EBC and TBC
- Must possess extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, and materials science
- Ability to obtain and maintain access to NETL site
- Demonstrated ability authoring publications for peer-reviewed journals, presenting at conferences, and presenting results to stakeholders related to their research work.
- Research work at a structured laboratory like a national lab where safety is paramount
Salary Range for this position: $115K to $125K
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.