Are you looking for the opportunity to lead work on problems that matter, in a dynamic digital environment, with colleagues that share your interest in Software Engineering for Big Data challenges?
Leidos is looking for an experienced Sr. Software Engineer to join our VIRTUAL team, where we accommodate all US time zones for collaborative mid-day sessions and activities. The person we are looking for will help us develop and commercialize progressive software solutions to Big Data challenges. The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate an enthusiastic and curious nature, with desire to learn and grow professionally
- Actively and directly engage with team technical staff of all levels on a daily basis, and AIML / data science researchers (who depend on some of our work for their research) on a somewhat regular basis.
- Be accountable for delivery on key project/program objectives, with significant impact on the area/project team
- Lead development of solutions that:
- Scale intelligently to tackle Big Data processing at speed, while controlling costs
- Are secure through the development pipeline, and in production operation
- Are built atop rich, yet flexible infrastructure—for example, providing service telemetry/observability in a Kubernetes-orchestrated environment
Specific areas of R&D
- Data Prep Ops – methods for validating
- Implementation of Stream Processing analytic functions that parse source data, employ some number of Enterprise Integration Patterns, and produce a result of value to a downstream system or analyst – e.g., for defensive cyber operations support
- Data Governance tooling, integrations, and functional extension
- Workflow Instrumentation
- Knowledge Graphs and Entity Resolution
- Data Security, including Anonymization and Obfuscation
- Work in a small team that truly follows agile processes
- Be a technical leader
- working hands-on, to develop innovative, high quality code/configuration-as-code solutions to the tough problems
- acting as intermediary between (a) architects and other project leadership and (b) junior software engineers
- teaching/mentoring junior engineers
- Utilize cloud-based infrastructure for executing and scaling R&D
- Participate in code reviews, end of sprint demo’s, and other team activities
- Frequently Document/Communicate through wiki articles
- Support productization through software development, containerization, and CI/CD
- Communicate technical solutions, practices, and procedures effectively with a wide array of people, including colleagues, project managers, program managers, Leidos leaders, subject matter experts from adjacent organizations, external partners, and customers
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related discipline and 8+ years of hands-on experience in professional software development, or Masters degree with 6+ years of hands-on experience in professional software development.
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret security clearance.(US Citizenship is required for a clearance and position eligibility)
- Advanced knowledge of Software Engineering, including
- Software design patterns
- Software implementation best practices
- Dependency management, packaging, and deployment
- Intermediate/Advanced Linux proficiency
- Current, hands-on knowledge of some JVM language, including knowledge of JVM configuration/tuning, packaging and deployment of JVM applications
- Current, hands-on knowledge of a comprehensive set of platform tools, including:
- Docker at least, preferably in a Kubernetes-orchestrated deployment
- One or more of: Kafka, Spark, or related data processing tools
- Some advanced distributed document storage solution (not an RDBMS)—Elasticsearch (or Lucene/Solr) preferred
- Some ‘dashboarding/visualization’ tool—e.g., Kibana or Grafana
- Some combination of: Neo4J, Python, Jupyter Notebooks, NiFi, DataHub, or equivalent tools
- Advanced knowledge of Software Engineering, including
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance
- Agile Processes
- Integrating Open Source Software
- Development in security-constrained environments
- Functional Programming paradigm and/or Scala
- Data Governance and/or Data Quality capabilities
- AWS service configuration and use (notably S3, EC2, EBS, IAM)
- Kubernetes-relevant utilities like Keycloak, Prometheus, CDK8s, …
- Git-Ops, ArgoCD, GitLab-CI
- Familiarity with Data Science, AI/ML, and/or Cyber Security operations
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.