Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry in a group of intelligent and motivated individuals? Leidos operates the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL provides a variety of services to promote the advancement and deployment of emerging technologies, including vehicle automation and communication.
To boost these goals, Leidos is hiring a Mid-level Data Engineer to work in McLean, Virginia as part of a team of researchers developing the latest automated vehicle technology. The position is a key part of the Leidos’ team supporting FHWA’s cutting-edge research. The work at STOL involves development and maintenance of various systems such as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, simulation, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity.
The Data Engineer will be part of a team of developers writing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research, including connected vehicles and human factors. We are part of a larger FHWA research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that pushes the boundaries of connected and autonomous vehicle technology for the FHWA. The team at STOL demonstrates capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication that will support the larger Intelligent Transportation System initiatives. We also study human factors, such as a driver’s ability to recognize and react to various situations, including interaction with automated vehicles. The ideal candidate will have a passion for big data and a strong technical background in designing, building, and maintaining scalable data systems.
· Design, build, and maintain scalable data systems for large-scale data processing and storage
· Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather needed information and drive data solutions
· Develop complex data flows and improve/maintain data pipelines for collecting, transforming, and loading data into data storage solutions
· Work with sensor data, from automated vehicles and transportation infrastructure and apply Extract Load Transform (ELT) to make it AI/ML ready
· Manipulate data and data flows for both existing and new systems including visualization
· Implement data quality and data governance processes
· Monitor and optimize system performance, troubleshoot issues, and implement solutions
· Research emerging technologies to determine impact on application execution
· Provides input to staff involved in writing and updating technical documentation
· Prepares reports on analyses, findings, and project progress
· May serve as a technical team or task leader
· BS in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field and 4+ years of prior relevant experience or master’s with 2+ years of prior relevant experience.
· 4+ years of experience in designing and implementing data solutions
· The ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
· Strong experience with SQL and NoSQL databases (e.g., MySQL, MongoDB, InfluxDB)
· Background with cloud computing platforms (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure)
· Hands-on practice with Hadoop ecosystem components (e.g., HDFS, Spark, Hive)
· Knowledge with data flow management and orchestration tools
· Knowledge with implementing database technologies
· Utilize containerization technologies such as Docker, Podman, Kubernetes, or similar.
· Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
· Hands-on practice with BI tools such as Grafana, Tableau, and PowerBI
· Background with coding languages such as Python, Java, Spark, or similar.
· Ability to prioritize and manage a complex & changing data infrastructure.
· Good comprehension of Database, Data Warehouse, Datalake, Lakehouse, and scenarios where each of them would be a preferred fit
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as opportunities for growth and advancement within the company. If you are a self-starter with a passion for data engineering and want to make a significant impact in a growing company, we want to hear from you! Learn about STOL here: https://highways.dot.gov/research/laboratories/saxton-transportation-operations-laboratory/saxton-transportation-operations-laboratory-overview
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.