Leidos has an excellent opportunity for a Safety Engineer. This role will represent NASA Human Health & Performance (HH&P) customer interests at Programmatic Safety Review Panels by applying specialized Safety engineering skills and knowledge. The Safety Engineer directly interfaces with other NASA organizations and outside hardware providers through Safety Panel membership, and defends issues raised by responsible reviewers and subject matter experts during Safety Reviews.
The successful incumbent will take ownership of technical review for Spaceflight Safety Data Packages, Hazard Reports, Non-Compliance Reports, and other supporting data to assure that hazards and their consequences are identified, evaluated, and controlled throughout all phases of the mission and that Programmatic Safety requirements are met.
This position is responsible for analyzing safety packages for health and medical- related concerns and identifying discipline-specific issues which require the application of engineering knowledge from several different fields with relevant Subject Matter Experts. The Safety Engineer tracks and reports status of risk acceptance documentation to HH&P customers and represents the company and / or customer in outside discussions and technical forums.
This position is located at The Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX.
Must have US Citizenship or US Permanent Residency and the ability to obtain a Public Trust Security Clearance
• Demonstrate commitment to a high standard of safety and ensure compliance with Safety, Health and Environmental plan by adhering to all safety laws and the Company’s safety policies.
• Report safety violations or potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel; make recommendations for corrective action.
• Participate in Safety Panel Reviews by engaging and contributing as an informed Panel member.
• Assure compliance with the Quality Assurance Plan, policies and procedures
to achieve established standards.
• Communicate explanation and defense of Health & Medical requirements and positions on pertinent subject matters.
• Review Safety Data Packages, presentations, Hazard Analyses, and other supporting data. Track, manage, and mitigate safety risks; report status at customer forums.
• Work with Health and Medical Technical Authority (HMTA) delegates to communicate and / or elevate safety risks for collaboration on resolution.
• Participate in and provide recommendations for Safety Panel Support task process improvement efforts.
• Coordinate with Subject Matter Experts across Human Health & Performance Directorate to accomplish identified objectives.
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Medical, or Life Sciences field and 4+ years of experience in manned spaceflight
• Demonstrated knowledge of Safety Engineering and application of its principles
• Proactive, effective communicator and collaborator with the ability to engage in protracted technical discussions
• MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint
• 3+ years of experience supporting NASA programs, including Safety Panels
• 3+ years of experience performing System Safety in health, medicine or related field
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.