Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
Leidos is seeking an Operations Engineer to join our team in Pittsburgh, PA. This work will involve engaging with a team of multi-disciplinary, scientific, and technically-oriented national laboratory scientists and engineers producing technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural gas extraction and transmission processes, National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled women and men at NETL’s three research sites – Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
As the Operations Engineer, you will provide necessary support for installation, startup and operation of the research, development, and test systems that comprise the Direct Air Capture Center (DACC) facility at NETL. The Center’s mission is to support research, development, and testing of prototype technologies for direct air capture and storage of carbon. Your role will be critical to support the DACC mission.
Location: Candidates must be local to the Pittsburgh, PA area, as this position is onsite at the NETL campus in Pittsburgh. Remote work is possible up to 20%.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
The Operations Engineer will work under the direction of the DACC Technical Director and the DACC Technical Lead to provide critical support of the Center’s activities. The Operations Engineer’s responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to the following:
- Working with the Center Technical Director and Center testing partners in the creation and modification of experimental protocols.
- Conducting collaborative R&D with testing partners using Center test systems.
- Producing journal-quality data sets and analysis documents using Center test systems.
- Contributing to peer-reviewed publications, patents, and other products.
- Supporting the preparation and modification of Safety Analysis and Review System (SARS) packages associated with safe operation of the Center.
- Communicating with colleagues across multiple areas (project managers, other professional resources, etc.) to solve complex problems that require deliberate, thorough analysis
- You'll performs, or manage a provider to perform, installs, configurations, upgrades/enhancements, and maintenance activities of aligned technologies.
- Ensuring the facility is operated in a safe, efficient and compliant manner.
- You Perform conceptual design to support the activities leading to the creation of new or improvements to existing products or product applications.
- Prepare design, analysis, test requirements, performance, schedule, and cost information as required in the assigned area of responsibility for existing or new products.
- Working independently to achieve day-to-day objectives with significant impact on operational results or project deliverables.
- Identify and mitigate risks for assigned projects.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering with 3+ years professional experience.
- Strong skills in organization, communication, and conflict resolution.
- Experience managing customer or client expectations.
- Ability to learn and apply standard policies and procedures.
- Must be able to meet the requirements for gaining access to work on the NETL campus.
- Experience in supporting startup of new or modified facilities
- Experience working in an R&D environment
- Experience with safety analysis and development of safety protocols
- Experience with developing and analyzing large data sets
Come join the Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), where you’ll be able to work side by side with world-class scientists and engineers supporting basic and applied research to discover, integrate, and mature technology solutions that enhance the nation’s energy foundation and protect the environment for future generations. Explore the Research Support Services (RSS) contract for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) here - https://netl.doe.gov/
Salary Range for this position: $75K to $90K
Pay Range:Pay Range $63,050.00 - $97,000.00 - $130,950.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.