The Leidos Climate Team is currently seeking a Climate Data Scientist to help develop architectures, services, and applications for climate data. Leidos is leading the way in Climate Data Modernization, helping develop common cloud frameworks for activities across the Federal Government, Academia, Non-Profit Sector, International Community, and other sources. The Climate Data Scientist will work on internal and client data systems to deliver new insights into predicting the pacts of climate-related extreme events, including considerations of equity, safety, environmental protection, national security, and health.
The Climate Data Scientist will provide operational and development support across our growing Leidos Climate Data portfolio including:
- Data cataloging and ingestion architectures various federal science and operational agencies.
- Data staging and weaving technologies for data transformation and application-specific optimization, including for AI/ML workflows.
- Continuous Integration / Continuous Development (CI/CD) frameworks for automation and application development and deployment.
- Specialized analytic and microservices for geospatial and time series data, including from the deployed sensor, airborne, and satellite data products of NOAA, NASA, USGS, NSF/NEON, and the European Space Agency.
- Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
Additionally, the Climate Data Scientist will support the technological and market growth of Leidos Climate research activities through data-drive prototypes and demonstrations, and the generalization and optimization of existing Climate data and information systems.
Due to contract requirements, only U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents can be considered.
- PhD in Environmental Sciences with at least 2 years' relevant experience or a Masters degree with at least 4 years' relevant experience.
- Proficiency in Python programming.
- Proficiency with remote sensing data: Earth Observation satellite, airborne, terrestrial, for day/night visible, optical, multispectral, lidar, and thermal instruments.
- Proficiency with common geospatial software, tools, and packages: GDAL, geopandas, rasterio, xarray, ESRI Arc suite, QGIS.
- Experience with data-driven climate and sustainability studies.
- Experience with High Performance Computing (HPC) including parallel processing, task queues, relational databases.
- Strong quantitative analytical skills including an understanding of data-driven and empirical approaches, and sophisticated statistical analyses.
- Established record of technical writing.
- Documented record of peer-reviewed publication in high-impact journals (including as first-author).
- Ability to respond to rapidly changing team and client needs.
- Experience with virtual meetings through platforms such as MS Teams or Zoom.
- Experience with additional programming languages and design models.
- Experience with specialized remote sensing software, tools, and packages, for example LASTools, CloudCompare, Terrasolid.
- Experience in field sampling and airborne data collection, statistical analysis, spatial analysis, time-series analysis.
- Experience with remote sensing instrument characterization, calibration, and sampling methodology and study design.
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.