Leidos is trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to our Power Delivery Services for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Currently, we have an opportunity for a Director of Engineering for electric utility design engineering.
Work Location: Orlando, FL preferred (with potential for partial or full remote) but all candidates located across the U.S. will be considered for fully remote.
The successful candidate will have an interest in managing and overseeing a team responsible for developing construction work packages for the electric & gas distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include joint use make ready, and street light projects. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
The teams’ project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements or calculating a customer Contribution in Aid of Construction (CIAC). Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
Background must haves:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree (EE preferred) is required and minimum of twelve (12) + years of prior relevant experience: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
- Fundamentals of Engineer certification or Professional Engineer
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
- Experience with Business Development, developing proposals, pricing & client interviews
- Experience using CAD tools
- Successful project management experience (initiate, plan, execute, monitor & control, closeout)
- Experience managing large engineering teams
Nice to haves
- Experience with designing secondary networks
- Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, Bentley OpenUtilities Designer, GE Smallworld, Maximo or similar products
- Experience with complex projects in distribution design: using medium voltage switchgear, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects
- Experience with development of civil & electrical packages associated with complex cable/conduit in dense urban environments
- PMP certification
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision and providing leadership to other team members
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
- Professional dress and demeanor
- 10%-30% Working with Leidos team to improve process, training & mentoring staff
- 20%-20% Engineering, development, and quality control of design packages for construction crews
- 50%-70% Performing supervisory, business development, planning, managing profit/loss, and/or customer relationship
Pay Range:Pay Range $105,300.00 - $162,000.00 - $218,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.