Leidos seeks a Chief Engineer for the Indian Health Service (IHS) Health Information Technology – Modernization (HIT-M) Program that is a remote US position. IF MAKING A DIFFERENCE IS IMPORTANT TO YOU - READ ON!!
The IHS HIT-M program is responsible for the replacement of its legacy Electronic Health Record (EHR) with a COTS solution. IHS will implement this solution over a 10-year period after contract award at multiple AI/AN hospitals and clinics throughout the US. This position is to lead a technical team in designing, building, implementing, and maintaining the replacement system. Leidos has selected a COTS EHR system and additional components to meet the requirement. The chief architect will need to complete the design, supervise the build out of the required solution, and lead the technical implementation at the enterprise and site level. Essential parts of the technical challenge will be interfacing the Leidos solution with IHS required legacy systems and medical devices, attaining an Authority to Operate (ATO), and delivery of a native web application to locations with no/low communications.
The Chief Engineer/Solution Architect must have a background in successfully collaborating with a variety of customers and stakeholders, helping to fill the communication gap between technical and non-technical specialists. The candidate will provide leadership to invigorate technical innovation and must be willing to drive smart change to support a collaborative and innovative culture to provide our customer with optimal solutions that meet their strategic goals. By collaborating with and being a part of the project management team, the candidate will provide strategic recommendations and ensure that the solution fits the defined purpose. The candidate will demonstrate both managerial and technical capabilities and experience.
What you will do!
- Serve as Technical Lead and Solution Architect for the Leidos IHS HIT-M solution and all related tasks on the IHS HIT-M contract.
- Complete the top-level architecture of the system solution, including the hardware and software, topology and interconnects, so that the system works as an integrated, cost-effective unit to satisfy requirements.
- Continually refine and design a technical solution that meets contractual technical requirements.
- Provide recommendations of roles and support the selection of personnel to fill the technical positions for the program to implement the IHS HIT-M solution.
- Constructs system cloud, hardware, and software design criteria and identifies commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) or reused hardware/software that will fit the intended need
- Perform tradeoffs between the candidate systems on performance, cost, schedule, risk, reliability, etc., using a structured decision analysis methodology to select the best candidate solution for further definition
- Plan and execute analyses and simulations to estimate system performance, availability, reliability, etc., over the full range of operational scenarios, compares these to the requirements, and identify possible risk areas and performance trade-offs
- Review current technology to evaluate capabilities and features
- Develop a technology roadmap and a demonstration plan for higher technical risk components or subsystems (i.e., non-COTS components or components that require development that are near state-of-the-art levels)
- Supports definition of technical performance measures (TPMs) and develops a plan for TPM goals versus requirements, and ways of calculating or measuring TPM values
- Determines functional and physical interface and interconnect specifications and requirements for solution components that interface with customer-furnished equipment (CFE), software, data, or facilities
- Supports planning for verification of all requirements and interfaces through planning activities for analysis, simulation, or test
- Participates in formal and informal reviews
- Lead formal reviews as defined in the Leidos proposal to support the IHS Enterprise Performance Life Cycle (EPLC) and System Engineering Technical Reviews (SETR) and others that are contractually specified
- Participates in internal program reviews
- Identify the need for subject matter experts (SMEs) to support the program to meet technical and schedule requirements
- Identify the need for appropriate technical analyses, simulation, design, and verification/test tools and techniques
- Reviews verification and test procedures
- Acts as the "technical conscience" of the project, so that cost and schedule pressures do not jeopardize solution quality and performance
The qualifications you will bring!
- Masters with 15 - 20 years of prior relevant experience or Doctorate with 13 16 years of prior relevant experience
- Self-motivated and focused on delivering outcomes; ability to work independently and collaborate with remote teams
- Strong communication skills (writing, speaking, and listening); ability to articulate solutions and rationale for design decisions
- Strong technical writing experience and presenting solutions to both business and technical stakeholders, to include leading technical section approaches
- Navigate between levels of technical detail across a breadth of technologies and capabilities to best understand “as-is” and appreciate the implications of “to-be” recommendations
- Knowledge of IT Security compliance specifications (HIPAA, FISMA, NIST 800-53, FedRAMP)
- Experience with HL7, FHIR, HIEs
- Experience with Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud.
- Position requires US Citizenship or US Permanent Residency Status and the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance
- Experience with implementation of an Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- HHS Experience a plus. IHS experience a bigger plus
- Experienced with securing at least one of the following cloud service provider types: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Software a Service (SaaS), and Platform as a Service (PaaS), Security Operations as a Service (SOCaaS)
- Experience with Cameo or other model-based systems engineering tools and practices
- Experience or working knowledge of commercial EHRs – preferably MEDITECH Expanse
- Experience with databases, namely SQL Server
- Knowledge of Remote Desktop Application deployment
- Understanding of Microsoft Windows OSx, and SQL databases
- Experience with large-scale enterprise system of systems integration and deployment
- PMI PMP Certification and/or MBA
Pay Range:Pay Range $142,350.00 - $219,000.00 - $295,650.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.