Detailed Job Description:
The Sr. Cable Plant Engineer will lead the planning, design, engineering, configuration, and implementation of inside plant (ISP), including horizontal cabling, and outside plant (OSP) Structured Cabling Systems at NASA Langley Research Center (LaRC) Hampton, VA, in support of the Leidos | Advanced Enterprise Global Information Systems (AEGIS) Contract.
- Complete site surveys and create structured cabling designs for inside plant category cabling and fiber optic cabling in support of voice, data, security, and audio/visual systems. Designs to include engineered drawings, specifications, reports, and other technical documents.
- Complete site surveys in a campus environment and develop outside plant engineering designs to include underground duct banks, manhole, handhole, tunnels, building entrance, related infrastructure, and underground cable route mapping requirements in support of fiber optic and copper cabling systems. Designs to include engineered drawings, specifications, reports, and other technical documents.
- Create complete structured cabling system designs for new construction including ISP and OSP requirements.
- Work closely with other IT and Facilities team members, project teams, clients, architects, engineers, subcontractors, vendors, material suppliers, and other technical resources to analyze business and technical requirements to develop structured cabling system designs, estimates, implementation plans, management/customer reports, and coordinate the structured cabling design with other design disciplines.
- Identify and provide designs to support requirements for fire stopping and grounding.
- Develop cost estimates, including labor and materials; generate Statements of Work (SOW) for bid opportunities, analyze bid responses, and approve plans for procurement.
- Create project schedules and identifying major milestones of cabling system projects.
- Review drawings and specifications developed by others and render comments/recommendations as part of a formal consultant peer review process.
- Ensure compliance with all national codes and standards requirements relating to ISP and OSP structured cabling systems, and relevant internal and customer policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Provide project inspection for quality control, including technical support to Project Managers and Installation Technicians throughout project lifecycle, and provide final acceptance of all installations for the customer.
- Be an advocate for cabling systems spaces and pathways to ensure required codes and cabling standards are met.
- Maintain strict adherence to labeling, inventory control, and documentation of cable plant inventory.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Expertise, Years of Experience:
- BICSI Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) or in the process of obtaining the certification.
- 5+ years of directly related experience in outside plant (OSP) and inside plant (ISP) Structured Cabling Systems design/engineering.
- Candidate must be proficient in all applicable federal, state, and local codes as they may apply; including the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) Cabling standards and BICSI design and installation methodologies.
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Code and National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) as it applies to structured cabling systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of cable plant installation, termination, and testing techniques for category cabling and fiber optic cabling systems.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to pay attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical personnel
- Limited travel may be required.
- Candidate must be able to obtain a public trust clearance.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Expertise, Years of Experience:
- Familiarity with developing construction specifications for telecommunications systems
- Telecommunications firestopping
- CAD experience a plus.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Requires BS and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or equivalent years of experience.
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.