Join a team committed to a mission!
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Are you ready for your next career challenge?
The Defense Group at Leidos, supporting the Medium/Overload Unmanned Surface Vessel (M/OUSV) Program, is seeking Designated Duty Engineer (Unlicensed Engineer) to support a dynamic high growth organization. The M/OUSV program is based in Port Hueneme, CA, and is responsible for delivering cutting edge autonomous vessel technology to the US Navy. The program operates and maintains prototype autonomous vessels for test and evaluation of the vessels as well as developing operations, maintenance, logistics and training procedures for the autonomous Fleet of the future.
The Designated Duty Engineer (Unlicensed Engineer) will participate in innovative technological advances onboard unmanned surface vessels (USV). This individual will be part of a four-person crew rotation onboard a USV during testing and evaluation. In the current phase of development these vessels still require some crew, to move the vessels from test and evaluation to fleet delivery. The Designated Duty Engineer (Unlicensed Engineer) will travel and work onboard USV at sea and in port, operating and maintaining the USV and support vessels.
Duties include primary responsibility for the USV propulsion system underway, in addition to preparation, preservation, and cleanliness of navy watercraft, and pre/post mission craft readiness functions. Provides basic facility maintenance support and cleaning duties. Crew will work rotating shifts of approximately two-weeks, while on rotation crew should expect to work more than 40-hours per week.
- Report to USV Captain for pier side and afloat USV operations.
- Take responsibility for first-line maintenance and repairs of USV propulsion system. Perform scheduled and corrective maintenance, integration, testing, and troubleshooting of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and automated control systems.
- Participate in basic seamanship duties and capable of performing as line handler, watch stander and ship's crew as required.
- Assist in preparation, preservation, and cleanliness of unmanned M/OUSV ship, and any associated equipment.
- Assist in pre/post mission craft readiness functions.
- May assist in vessel security and visitor control function.
- Participate in Leidos and Government safety programs.
- This position will require close cooperation and working relationships with active-duty military and other Government personnel.
- Us citizen with ability to obtain a Secret level DoD Security clearance.
- Ability to perform in an arduous duty environment on rotating crew schedule.
- Perform at-sea watch standing.
- High school diploma or equivalent and 3 to 5 years’ experience.
- 3 -5 years of experience on Marine propulsion systems, to include Diesel engines and waterjets.
- Previous experience performing basic seamanship duties.
- Familiarity with small boat operation, basic small craft maintenance, line handling, and launching/recovering from trailers.
- Ability to lift 40lbs.
- Ability and demeanor to share common spaces and work closely with others in a small working area and in a shipboard environment during underway periods.
- Able to communicate effectively.
- Possess QMED qualification.
- Prior military service, preferably Navy or US Coast Guard, with experience underway.
Ability to lift 40lbs.
Ability and demeanor to share common spaces and work closely with others in a small working area and in a shipboard environment during underway periods.
Able to communicate effectively.
Pay Range:Pay Range $46,800.00 - $72,000.00 - $97,200.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.