Our Overhead Transmission business seeks a Transmission Line Engineer with PLS-CADD experience to join its team in Novi (Detroit), MI (remote candidates are welcome to apply). Come join us in delivering projects that make a difference.
At Leidos, the opportunities are boundless. We challenge our staff with interesting assignments that provide them with an opportunity to thrive, professionally and personally. For us, helping you grow your career is good business.
Leidos is seeking a Transmission Line Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team working in a fast-paced environment, solving challenging problems involved with extra high voltage electric transmission line design. The successful candidate will serve as a Lead Engineer on electric transmission design projects for high-voltage (HV) and extra high-voltage (EHV) overhead utility systems. He/she will apply NESC, NEC, ASCE and other applicable standards in the engineering and design of electrical overhead, voltage conversion projects, new capacity projects and infrastructure replacement projects. Additionally, he/she will assist the team as well as independently perform engineering analyses, prepare bidding documents, plans and specifications; as well as prepare material procurement and construction documents, and work with project planning, environmental, permitting, and construction management.
This position offers the successful candidate to develop an engineering team with direct report responsibilities. The candidate will also be responsible for managing client relations, proposal development, scope creation, and project management.
To be considered for these positions, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below.
- For Mid-level: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and minimum of four (4) years of prior relevant experience in the design of electric utility transmission systems
- For Senior level: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and minimum of eight (8) years of prior relevant experience in the design of electric utility transmission systems, P.E. license required, to serve as responsible engineer in charge of design of projects
- For SME level: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and minimum of twelve (12) + years of prior relevant experience in the design of electric utility transmission systems, P.E. license required, to serve as responsible engineer in charge of design of projects
All levels require:
- Professional Engineering License – any state (required for Senior and SME Level) or ability to take P.E. exam after reasonable preparation
- Ability to develop staff through mentoring
- Experience in reviewing full transmission line designs including PLS-CADD models, foundations, material, plan and profiles, and construction packages
- Knowledge of NESC, ACI, AISC, and ASCE code requirements; construction specifications; material procurement process; project schedules; and construction work packages.
- Develop project scopes, budgets, and proposals
- Ability to work effectively in team environment but also able to work independently
- Proven ability to communicate with clients and project teams
- Must have leadership experience and supervising others (required for Senior and SME Level)
- Work in client office is a possibility and/or periodic travel may be required
- Program Expertise:
- PLS-CADD and POLE
- LPILE or FAD Tools
- Microsoft Office
- Program Experience:
- PLS TOWER
- Bentley MicroStation
- Bentley ProjectWise
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Construction Management and Support
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical workplace. In fact, in 2023, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the sixth consecutive year.
Pay Range:Pay Range $66,300.00 - $102,000.00 - $137,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.