Leidos has an exciting opportunity for a Safety Engineer to join our Occupational Safety Team at the NASA Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, California. In this role your expertise will be essential to support safety activities in support of NASA Ames Research Center operations.
NASA’s test facilities contain complex process, mechanical, and electrical subsystems with varying degrees of hazards. The Occupational Safety Team is responsible for ensuring NASA operations are in compliance with the Occupational Safety & Health Standards, National Fire Protection Association regulations, Life Safety Code (NFPA 101), California Building Code, National Electric Code, and other applicable safety, health, and fire protection standards.
The Safety Engineer will act as a resource to Center operations and work closely with NASA staff, facility engineers, and system operators. The successful candidate will possess broad industrial safety experience as well as a strong technical background. The position works under general supervision of the Lead Safety Engineer and is expected to apply fundamental engineering concepts, practices, and procedures. This role provides the unique opportunity to work within a dynamic team under supportive leadership for a company that truly values its employees, while supporting a renowned customer.
This position is located on-site at NASA Ames Research Center, with the opportunity to work remotely 1-2 days per week.
US Citizenship or US Permanent Residency required and must have ability to successfully obtain a Public Trust Security Clearance.
- Provide program development, implementation, coordination and training for safety programs, including: electrical safety (high voltage electrical power safety), lock-out/tag-out, heavy equipment safety, fall protection, facility safety, ergonomics, machine guarding, office safety, explosives and propellants safety, mishap reporting, safety postings/signage, and safety committee management.
- Interact with NASA personnel to ensure a consistent understanding of regulatory and procedure requirements.
- Ensure adherence to NASA’s established safety standard by providing direction and integrating NASA’s safety program into workplace practices.
- Identify and address safety-related issues / potential issues through applying problem-problem skills and adapting to the situation at hand.
- Proactively plan and implement measures to mitigate risk and foster further development of the safety culture.
- Effectively manage competing priorities to guarantee requirements are achieved and objectives are met.
- Interpret and communicate regulatory requirements among the organization; develop solutions and provide clarification where rule ambiguity exists.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health and Safety or a relevant field and 4+ years of experience; or Master's degree and 2+ years of experience
- Experience with Occupational Health and Safety regulations and its application in the work environment
- Experience with program development and providing training
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with customers, peers, and management;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Certified Safety Professional
- Experience working at NASA centers
- Knowledge of NASA’s safety program policies and procedures
Pay Range:Pay Range $66,300.00 - $102,000.00 - $137,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.