Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
We are in search of a Substation Physical Engineer to join our diverse and fast-paced organization. As a core team member, you will be interacting with other electric utility disciplines, playing a valuable part in leading and designing high voltage utility substation projects. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
Your greatest work is ahead!
The Mission Leidos Engineering is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Power Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms. To explore and learn more, click here!
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career. Share your resume with us today!
- Perform Physical Electrical, Protection and Control, SCADA Systems, Station Communications and Station Automation design on small to medium sized utility substation engineering projects with medium complexity.
- Perform medium to advanced complexity engineering calculations to support engineering design.
- Assist senior engineers with engineering studies.
- Prepare project deliverables including but not limited to engineered drawings, technical reports, project-related correspondence and miscellaneous project documentation.
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines as required. Should be able to assess the impacts of design changes on other disciplines to pick the best solution.
- Perform Quality Control reviews on smaller projects.
- Prepare portions of smaller proposals under the direction of project engineers. Provide drawing counts and man-hour estimates for small to medium sized projects.
- Assist the team with the development of processes and procedures to improve project execution efficiency.
- Maintain accurate records and files and a high level of organization.
- Take opportunities to improve technical knowledge and understanding of the work.
- Develop and provide moderate complexity technical presentations to the team to assist with training and staff development.
- Assist project engineer with project-related technical support to field personnel during construction.
- Support Leidos’ goals and represent the company positively and professionally.
What Sets You Apart:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, civil or related degree with two (2+) plus years of related Substation physical design experience or Master’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, civil or related degree with two years or less (2) years of related Substation physical design experience
- Experience with grounding studies/lightning protection and lighting studies.
- Demonstrated understanding of the utility grid (power generation, transmission, and distribution) system
- Demonstrated understanding of the function and application of major substation electrical and control house equipment
- Proficiency with using Windows-based software programs
You Might Also have:
- Registered Engineer In Training (EIT)
- Active membership in national engineering societies (IEEE, PES, etc.)
- Proficiency with Bentley ProjectWise data management system.
- Self-starter who can work with reduced supervision
- Ability to multitask on assignments while maintaining schedule
- Proactive communication with strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
We take care of our employees. Leidos seeks the best and the brightest, and in return, we invest in you, with an eye on your future, through career advancement, growth opportunities and continuous improvement via mentoring, formal and informal project management training and assistance with obtaining pertinent certifications. We challenge you to help solve some of the world’s toughest problems, and reward you with a welcoming culture that recognizes the importance of a strong work/life balance, as well as competitive compensation and benefits. We believe that diversity and inclusion make us all better and offer the chance to have fun and make a difference.
Pay Range:Pay Range $63,050.00 - $97,000.00 - $130,950.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.