Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
We are seeking a Manager of Quality, Training and Process Improvement who will provide leadership within our Power Delivery Solutions (PDS) Division. This position will contribute to the continuous improvement of the existing Leidos engineering national practice.
The Leidos PDS team provides conceptual and detailed design engineering to the electrical power industry. Our teams utilize our extensive experience in high to low voltage engineering to design upgrades or new facilities to support transmission lines, substations and distribution circuits. Our work across the US includes design of systems from 4 kV through 765 kV, and includes all elements of utility engineering, including substation physical design, protection and control (P&C), station auxiliary design, civil, and structural engineering.
This role will require the assessment of existing Leidos engineering procedures and practices, and result in the development of process improvements and corrective actions where beneficial. The position requires the review of our engineering team’s performance. The successful candidate will identify areas for improvement in our approach to utility engineering and will utilize process changes and targeted training to improve the staff and the procedures we use to govern our work.
The successful candidate will develop targeted and effective training to improve the existing staff and support the onboarding and development of new staff. Training will include topical areas such as electrical power engineering, civil engineering, and structural engineering. Additionally, the training will include increases in subject matter expertise in areas such as power breakers, transformers, switchgear, and relays. Through the concurrent focus on engineering processes, training, and quality assessments, the manager will drive divisional improvements that will propel the entire PDS team.
The position will require working closely with internal and external clients and stakeholders. The successful candidate will serve as assessor, mentor, and coach to the diverse PDS team and its leadership. We are seeking an innovative thinker who can bring best practices and improvements to our successful and talented PDS team.
- Review, assess and recommend modifications to the existing PDS engineering processes and procedures to improve overall quality and effectiveness across substation, transmission, and distribution fields of work. Work with the engineering leadership team to develop a culture of continuous improvement.
- Perform regular QA/QC inspections to assess the effectiveness of process. Verify that training activities are effective through review of deliverables. Continuously improve process and training to address trends around internal and external feedback.
- Develop project specific training for select projects to mitigate risk from infrequently performed tasks and potential knowledge gaps
- Perform root and apparent cause analysis for quality issues and support the development and implementation of corrective actions and actions to prevent recurrence.
- Develop strong professional relationships with engineering managers and lead engineering staff. Support the technical and professional development of substation staff in regional offices working closely with the engineering leadership teams.
- Develop client relationships with key accounts to solicit feedback on our performance, and support project managers and account managers with communicating our improvement efforts to our clients. Support the development of select proposals regarding quality, training and process improvement efforts.
- Establish a formal substation engineering training program in our subject areas including substation design, protection and control (P&C), civil/structural engineering, and settings engineering. Utilize internal and external resources and maximize the value of training activities.
- Review onboarding and training practices and procedures for different utility disciplines and assess and comment on talent acquisition and retention plans.
- Participate and present in industry forums and conferences to improve our understanding of new technologies, as well as advance our brand in the industry. Expand our footprint with industry groups such as the IEEE, and drive the development of white papers and targeted publications relevant to the industry.
- Attend and influence project kickoff and approach for major projects and program to assist with development of project specific quality plans. Work with Project Manager and design team to ensure compliance and technical excellence.
- Provide input to management teams on annual performance reviews and assessments
What Sets You Apart:
- Bachelor degree in Electrical, Civil, Mechanical Engineer or related and eight plus (8+) years of prior relevant experience or Masters with six plus (6+) years of prior relevant experience.
- Preference to proficiency in substation engineering methodology. Candidates from other segments of the power industry will be considered provided they have the technical acumen to perform the job duties described for the position.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communications skills are required
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills are required
- Willingness to travel to team, project and/or client sites. Travel is expected to be less than 20%
You Might Also Have:
- Professional Engineering (PE) license is preferred
- Previous technical teaching and presentation experience preferred
Leidos Engineering is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.