Unleash Your Potential
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customer’s success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Leidos is seeking Associate Distribution Engineers for electric utility design engineering. This position is largely remote in nature, but Ideal Candidates will be located within the state of Ohio, or in a nearby state in order to provide local support to our utility client and internal teams as required.
As a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider, our Power Delivery Services Team is relied on by over 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers, and private developers. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by our latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
As an Associate Distribution Engineer, you'll be a part of a team that is responsible for developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Your position will play a role in both simple and complex engineering projects, working directly with clients, and ensuring the Leidos reputation of high quality is maintained.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as management who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer Licensure (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities
- Leadership Training
In this role, you can expect to gain experience in:
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS Design
If you're interested in a challenging and rewarding career with a company that values innovation and excellence, then Leidos is the place for you. Join our team and help us continue to provide reliable power expertise to utilities across the country. Your greatest work is ahead!
As an Associate Distribution Engineer, you will support the following activities under supervision of a technical lead:
- Develop design and construction work packages for electrical overhead and underground distribution systems operating from 4kV through 138kV mostly associated with programmatic work such as overloaded transformers, inspection and maintenance, joint use, and inspection reports.
- Comply with Leidos and Client Safety requirements as well as design and quality expectations.
- Travel to sites as needed, perform inspections and return to the office to perform engineering design work.
- Perform engineering calculations such as: structural analysis for wood pole loading, guying calculations, specifying conductor sags and tensions for recommended spans, and calculation of voltage drop and flicker.
- Develop permitting documents for different AHJ’s.
- Provide engineering support during construction, including post-construction reviews to ensure all applicable engineering and construction standards have been met.
- Conduct root cause analysis of outages and mitigation using engineering principles and design.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements.
Basic Requirements for this position:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering an engineering discipline, and less than 2 years of prior relevant experience
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to work in outdoor environments
- Ability to utilize personal vehicle, as some travel may be required. (All customer/job-related travel will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
We prefer Candidates with the following:
- Experience with NESC Standards, ESRI, AutoCAD and/or MicroStation
- Previous exposure to power delivery projects and/or electric utilities
- AutoCAD experience
- Previous Exposure to pole-modeling software
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
At Leidos, the opportunities are boundless. We challenge our staff with interesting assignments that provide them with an opportunity to thrive, professionally and personally. For us, helping you grow your career is good business.
Pay Range:Pay Range $46,800.00 - $72,000.00 - $97,200.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.