The job of the Network Engineer is to assist with installation actions and support the daily operations and upgrades of government local and wide-area networks. This will include rack up/system installation and configuration of equipment for operations centers.
- Coordinates network administration and performance requirements with other members of the networking team.
- Prepares technical implementation plans that provide integrated solutions, including actions, milestones, timelines and critical paths required for complete solutions.
- Researches applicable standards and requirements documents to assure network compliance.
- Plans for and provides reasonable responsiveness in terms of network performance (e.g., availability, reliability, throughput).
- Prepares activity and progress reports for the Government regarding network performance initiatives.
- Troubleshoot Network problems and resolve as appropriate.
- Maintain and configure local area networks (LAN) and Wide Area Networks (WAN)
- Bachelors Degree in an IT field and 5 years experience, Associates Degree and 8 + years of experience, a Masters Degree and 2 years experience, or at least 10 years Network Engineering/Administration experience. Years of experience must be in Network Engineering/Administration or similar field.
- Candidate must be familiar with Cisco IOS, IP routing protocols, long haul communication transport, and network test equipment.
- Must be able to work independently or with minimal oversight to successfully execute requirements.
- Must be able to troubleshoot networking problems independently to resolution.
- Must have experience in administering and troubleshooting large scale business networks; also experience involving enterprise network systems.
- Must be a Cisco Certified Network Associate or equivalent and experience with Juniper networks.
- Must have experience with Cisco networking equipment and firewalls.
- Must have or be able to obtain the CompTIA security+ or equivalent certification within 6 months of hire and maintain throughout employment.
- Must have experience using Solarwinds or equivalent network monitoring tool.
- Must have at least 3 years hands-on experience working with the Juniper or Cisco network firewalls, switches, and routers.
- Under minimal contractor supervision, must be able to modify/maintain complex existing networking configurations using engineering releases and utilities from the manufacturer. Designs, codes, tests, debug, and document any changes to the configuration.
- Must have solid technical skills and experience with a variety of network protocols, software, and hardware involved in LAN and WAN operations.
- Responsible for troubleshooting and correcting operational issues affecting large telecommunications networks.
- Requires strong troubleshooting, analytic and diagnostic skills, along with good communication abilities.
- Must be U.S. citizen or legal permanent U.S. resident.
- Must be able to pass a background check and qualify for a Federal Position of Trust.
- Excellent communication skills in team environments and superior customer service skills are mandatory.
- Prior federal contracting experience.
- Cisco classes or certification(s), CCNP Certification a plus.
- Familiarity with these technologies:
- Analog Telecommunications (POTS Lines)
- Audio Encoding over IP
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
- Cisco Command line
- Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA)
- Cisco Aggregation Services Routers (ASR)
- Cisco Catalyst
- Cisco Firewall Management Center (FMC) Management
- Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD)
- Cisco Optical Networking Services (ONS)
- Cisco Nexus
- Coding Language to Script Automation (Such as Python)
- Command line and GUI experience with network firewalls, switches, and routers
- Data Center Cabling
- Dark Fiber
- Diagramming applications (such as Visio)
- Enterprise Routing/Switching
- Firewall Management
- Juniper Command Line
- Juniper Technologies
- LAN Architecture
- LTE Routing Technology
- Network Architecture & Design
- Network Monitoring
- Network Operations
- Network Security
- Network Troubleshooting
- Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) protocol
- Out of Band Management
- Satellite Modulation/Demodulation
- Technical Communication
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) Technologies
- Wide Area Network (WAN) Routing and Architecture
- Wireless Networking
- College Park, Maryland
- Boulder, Colorado
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.