Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
We are seeking an exceptional and motivated recent Ph.D. graduate (<5 years) interested in pursuing their passion and expanding their expertise by working side-by-side with world experts through a post-doctoral research appointment at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). In this role, you will work as part of DOE’s leading engineering R&D laboratory team supporting NETL to address carbon management and energy storage challenges through novel carbon materials synthesis and characterization. Specifically, you will work with NETL’s carbon materials manufacturing team to develop novel methods to synthesize graphite, graphene, porous and nano-porous, and composite carbon materials for optimal electrochemical energy storage performance. In this role, you will engage with world-class carbon materials synthesis researchers and electrochemical storage engineers, including leading DOE scientists and external partners to develop world-changing energy solutions that address global carbon management.
What this opportunity with Leidos supporting NETL uniquely provides you:
- Working on applied, cutting-edge projects with global impact while being mentored by the nation’s leading energy scientists and engineers.
- Real-world experience supplemented with technical development and discussions that provide unique insight into the broad range of mission critical engineering and scientific disciplines NETL leverages to support national energy research and policy development.
- Unique access to world-class, customized facilities specific to high impact energy research, technology generation, and patent development.
- Participation in novel fundamental and applied energy technology development with direct economic impact on global carbon management and resource use.
- Synthesize graphite, graphene, porous carbons, activated carbons, and composite carbon materials with polymers, metals, and metal oxides.
- Characterize the structural, optical, and electronic properties of different carbonaceous materials and composites using techniques including electron microscopy, FTIR, Raman, TGA, surface area analyzer, UV-Vis and photoluminescence spectroscopy, and XRD.
- Fabricate electrochemical cells (coin cell, split cell, and pouch cell) with novel carbon materials.
- Characterize electrochemical properties of new electrode materials for batteries and supercapacitors using cyclic voltammetry, galvanostatic charge discharge, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, and other analyses as appropriate.
- Participate and present results in regular team meetings, contribute to progress reports and research proposals, and prepare scientific manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed journals.
Required Experience, Skills, and Education:
- Ph.D. in relevant discipline (Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or a related engineering discipline) within the past five years or will complete your degree prior to the starting date.
- Hands-on experience and expertise in conducting synthesis and functionalization of carbon nanomaterials as demonstrated through publication record.
- Considerable knowledge of and experience with diverse electrochemistry techniques and developing, testing, and characterizing electrode materials as demonstrated through publication record.
- Experience with common carbon materials characterization techniques such as electron microscopy, XPS, Raman, FTIR, UV-Vis and photoluminescence spectroscopy, and XRD.
- Demonstrated ability to publish high impact research.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team to solve problems of scientific and technological interest.
- Must be able to meet the requirements for gaining access to work on the NETL campus.
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Education:
- Experience with or knowledge of electrochemical energy storage devices such as Li-ion batteries and supercapacitors and their testing and characterization.
Salary Range for this position: $80K to $95K
Pay Range:Pay Range $63,050.00 - $97,000.00 - $130,950.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.