Leidos is seeking a Transportation Solutions Engineer to join our team and will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting Connected Automated Vehicle (CAV) research across the US through our work at the U.S. Department of Transportation's (USDOT) Saxton Transportation Operations Lab (STOL). Our team advances CAV technology for the USDOT by developing, testing, and supporting the adoption of technologies associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications as well as Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA) addressing Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) goals to improve system efficiency and safety.
This is an opportunity for someone who is seeking a hands-on role in a fast-paced environment working directly with state and local DOTs as well as technology vendors in the CAV industry.
We are looking for a motivated professional with a background in transportation engineering and project management who is an industry expert that supports revenue growth by developing technical relationships with public agencies and industry research partners in boost of their adoption of our transportation technologies. As a technical industry expert, the Senior Transportation Solutions Engineer is an integral team member who supports business development activities including customer meetings, proposals, and presentations. Successful candidates will have a background in an engineering field related to transportation and strong knowledge of CAVs, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X) technology, smart mobility, and transit management.
The Transportation Solutions Engineer will work with our engineering, software, and outreach staff as well as USDOT clients to deliver products such as Concepts of Operations, Proof-of-Concept test plans, verified and validated software, live demonstrations, technical reports, and outreach materials and events.
Work Location: Full-time on-site at FHWA’s Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, Virginia with occupational travel to boost pilot deployments and testing activities.
This position provides diverse job functions, and may include, but not limited to:
· Acting as the technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) and reliable advisor to position the value of our technologies and services.
· Assisting in the industry adoption of ITS technologies.
· Project management, including activities such as: leading client meetings and communications, project staff management, deliverable tracking, status reporting, quality assurance, overall strategy, and direction.
· Working with all stakeholders to identify gaps and lead the prioritization of new features to deliver the highest value for public sector agencies and our business partners.
· Developing and maintaining a deep comprehension of the CAV research platform, products, and ongoing competitive intelligence.
· Effectively conveying customers’ needs to the technical team for research advancements/enhancements.
· Attending and presenting at exhibitions and conferences.
· Replying to Request for Information (RFI), Request for Proposals (RFPs), and Request for Quotes (RFQs) by providing fully documented, detailed solutions with the required technical information.
· Lead technical and outreach product development, including products such as: Concepts of Operations, Proof-of-Concept test plans, verified and validated software, live demonstrations, technical reports, and outreach materials and events.
· Work to develop staff, improve team, and advance team’s reputation as the leader in new transportation technologies.
· Lead BD and capture teams to identify, qualify, and pursue opportunities, and develop winning proposal materials.
· Manage, own, and develop programs, solutions, and new innovations.
· Produce clear and concise written communication and deliverables.
· Review, produce, and oversee project deliverables.
· Build consensus and maintain support among engineers, clients, and industry on abstract and technical concepts.
· Assist in the development of the integration capabilities across multiple task orders within the program.
· Author white papers, proposals, and briefings demonstrating technical thought leadership in return to Leidos leadership or customer needs.
· Time management and ability to balance priorities and ensure the products and services are delivered on-time and within budget.
· Coordinate with staff and clients to advance emerging ideas from high-level concepts to defined work products.
· BS and 4+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2+ years of prior relevant experience.
· Experience in the following areas: Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAV), Vehicle-to-Everything technology (V2X), Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO), alternative mode and emerging mobility including transit, pedestrian, bicycles, heavy vehicles, last-mile, and ride share.
· Ability to obtain and maintain a public trust security clearance.
· Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check.
· Working knowledge in project management with strong communication and writing skills.
· Working knowledge leading the development of solutions for proposals.
· Background in writing for white papers, RFI reactions, and proposals.
· Prior involvement working closely with clients.
· Ability to travel for to boost pilot deployments and testing activities. Anticipated travel is 25% of the time.
· Self-motivated and focused on delivering outcomes. Has big picture and forward-looking vision with the drive the learn and grow.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced highly collaborative environment.
· Self-starter who can work in uncharted and not yet well-defined research areas.
· Involvement with connected vehicle or transportation communication standards (e.g., SAE J2735, NTCIP 1202, etc.) is preferred.
· Direct experience supporting USDOT or State DOTs with a comprehension of state and local transportation jurisdiction operations and systems.
· Background developing and leading transportation standards and guidebooks.
· Established industry relationships and positive reputation (preferably as an expert in the industry).
· Background developing cost models, basis of estimates (BOEs), and Bill of Materials (BOM).
Pay Range:Pay Range $66,300.00 - $102,000.00 - $137,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.