Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customer’s success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
We are in search of a Microgrid Control and Automation Engineer to join our diverse and fast-paced organization. As a core team member, you will be interacting with other electric utility disciplines, playing a valuable part in leading and designing microgrid and renewable energy projects. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career; share your resume with us today!
In this role, the qualified individual will be expected to:
- Understanding of microgrid concepts, including islanding operation, grid-connected operation, energy management, control strategies, and power flow management within a microgrid system.
- In-depth knowledge of various renewable energy technologies such as solar photovoltaic (PV) systems, wind turbines, batteries, and other distributed energy resources (DERs).
- Familiarity with microgrids' control systems and automation technologies, such as supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems, energy management systems (EMS), Intelligent Electronic Devices (IEDs), Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs), Remote Terminal Units (RTUs).
- Knowledge of power electronics and their application in renewable energy systems and microgrids, including inverters, converters, and other power electronic devices to interface and control DERs.
- Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software for electrical system design, simulation tools for modeling and analysis, and programming languages commonly used in microgrid control systems.
- Familiarity with commonly utilized communication protocols (DNP, SEL, MMS, Modbus, etc.).
- Prior experience with Protection & Control design concepts, including one-lines, three-lines, schematics, wiring, etc.
- Prior experience with commonly utilized system modeling software programs (ASPEN, CAPE, CYME, ETAP, SKM, etc.).
- Experience with DNP3, Modbus, IEC 61131 Programming, AcSELerator RTAC, SEL 5030 Quickset, GE Cimplicity, and Protocol Test Software preferred.
- Perform planning and engineering in support of telecommunication systems and telecommunication projects.
- Establish project schedules and budgets.
- Develop drawings and specifications for utility telecommunication system projects.
- Coordinate with other internal engineering departments, external contractors, and utility construction crews
- Travel to project sites to collect information on existing conditions.
What you will bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or related degree with four (4+) plus years of relevant experience working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company
- Knowledge of microgrid and renewable energies.
- Protection and control of power system
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite of software (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project)
- Capability to learn a variety of client software packages and databases as required
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must possess the physical ability to support field work in, at times, rough terrain in order to access more remote project locations
It would be nice if you had:
- Fundamentals of Engineering certification
- Master’s degree in a related field
In this role, you can expect to grow:
- With opportunities for both technical and non-technical training
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Interface with local clients
- Electrical Power Calculations
WHAT WE DO
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms. To explore and learn more, click here!
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
We take care of our employees. Leidos seeks the best and the brightest, and in return, we invest in you, with an eye on your future, through career advancement, growth opportunities and continuous improvement via mentoring, formal and informal project management training and assistance with obtaining pertinent certifications. We challenge you to help solve some of the world’s toughest problems, and reward you with a welcoming culture that recognizes the importance of a strong work/life balance, as well as competitive compensation and benefits. We believe that diversity and inclusion make us all better and offer the chance to have fun and make a difference.
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.