Leidos has an excellent opportunity for a Lighting Engineer to join the Human Factors and System Management team, which supports the Habitability and Human Factors Branch by providing research, analysis, evaluation and usability testing of crew interfaces for work areas and equipment.
**This position is located on-site at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. This is not a remote position.**
This position will support JSC Lighting Lab capabilities, which include: human modeling, habitability, computer animation, lighting and viewing analyses, operations analyses for activities inside and outside the spacecraft, design concept visualizations, and research and development activities. The Lighting Engineer will investigate and evaluate proposed lighting systems for use on space vehicles to enhance the crews' direct and indirect viewing. This effort entails the investigation, measurement, and analysis of: artificial lighting systems (docking lights, portable lights, navigation lights), reflective characteristics of various materials, effects of solar lighting, transmission characteristics of transparent materials used for visors / displays / windows, and camera performance over the operational illumination range.
US Citizenship or US Permanent Residency required, and must have the ability to successfully obtain a Pubic Trust Security Clearance
- Perform interior and exterior lighting analyses using CAD and lighting simulation software to ensure industry and NASA Human System Standards are achieved
- Review lighting requirements and apply knowledge of safe, task-appropriate lighting design
- Assist in verification process to determine whether vendors have met identified lighting requirements
- Contribute to lighting designs for Government reference vehicles and test / training facilities
- Serve as a Lighting Subject Matter Expert (SME) to the human exploration development programs
- Remain current on the newest lighting, lighting control systems, and modeling technologies available for use in spacecraft architectures
- Collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders to accomplish shared goals
- Bachelor's Degree (electrical engineering, light engineering, aerospace engineering, or closely-related discipline)
- 6+ years of experience in a lighting-related field
- In-depth understanding of orbital mechanics
- Experience with project management and design requirements
- Proficiency in CAD-based software
- Strong communication skills, including technical reporting
- Detail-oriented, collaborator, and multi-tasker
- MS Outlook Word Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience with Virtual Reality (VR) programming strongly preferred
- Prior experience with NASA is a plus
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.