The Intelligence Group of Leidos is currently seeking a Geologist for our Reston, VA location.
The successful candidate will provide daily broad-based understanding of geological and geotechnical engineering disciplines in a defense environment. The selected candidate will have experience in drilling, core logging, mining, tunnel construction and design, trenchless technology, rock mass characterization and intelligence analysis skills.
The successful candidate will support a multi-disciplined team that develops methodologies, processes, and technological applications for characterizing, modeling and assessing underground facilities and WMD threats to support full dimensional defeat planning and combat operations. The candidate will conduct research and writing of geological characterizations and similar technical reports along with performing field research at sites throughout the U.S. and worldwide. A strong and diverse background in geology, geotechnical/mining engineering or engineering geology should include experience in some combination of field/tunnel/mine mapping, drilling and core logging, field geophysical surveys, directional drilling and oil/gas exploration and rock mechanics/testing. The candidate should also have a good background in GIS, computer modeling and programming (MATLAB). Work will be performed in a fast-paced, high-energy environment inside a government facility.
- Use exploitation products, intelligence resources and geological/geotechnical expertise to produce intelligence to characterize selected sites.
- Provide geological/geotechnical guidance and judgment throughout the characterization process to produce accurate intelligence estimates.
- Work within a matrixed team to include intelligence & imagery analysts, geologists, and engineers to translate characterization analysis to construct Underground Targeting & Analysis System (UTAS)/ Integrated Munitions Effects Assessment (IMEA) 3-D models for weaponeering.
- Brief senior officials regarding capability trends and analysis.
- Must have a TS/SCI w/ Poly clearance.
- Either a Bachelor’s Degree with 12+ or a Masters with 10+ in an Engineering Geology, Geology or Mining/Geotechnical Engineering discipline; with experience conducting geotechnical research and field collection
- Strong background in geomechanics, computer modeling, field geophysics and tunnel/slope rock mass characterization geotechnical engineering.
- Familiar with Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) and MATLAB.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to successfully brief and interact with Senior Officials.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
- Military or defense-related experience and an understanding of operational planning and functional defeat of hard targets and underground facilities.
- Professional Geologist accreditation a plus
- Military targeting experience
Pay Range:Pay Range - -
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.