Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Get familiar with Leidos Life, our radical program for emloyees to balance work & life.
We are seeking a Lead Transmission Line Engineer who will manage a collaborative and dynamic team working in a fast- paced environment, solving challenging problems involved with electric transmission. The successful candidate will serve as a Lead Engineer and Project Manager on electric transmission line design projects of overhead and underground systems for some of the largest utilities in the country as well as regional utilities. The candidate will apply NESC, ASCE, ACI, NEC and other applicable standards in the engineering and design of all types of capital and maintenance projects from 34.5 kV to 500 kV.
Additionally, the candidate will direct a team of engineers that regularly perform engineering analyses, PLS-CADD modeling, structure loading calculations, design structure framing and hardware assemblies, draft plans and specifications, and prepare bill of materials and procurement documents across project planning, engineering, environmental, permitting, and construction management phases.
Successful candidate can expect a fast-paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as a manager and peers who will encourage career development and growth!
This is a senior leadership role accountable to the Vice President of Transmission Engineering with primary responsibilities in client relations, staff management, proposal development, scope creation/change, project execution, and new business capture for the teams’ full book of work. This position offers the successful candidate direct report responsibilities and the opportunity to further develop an already growing engineering team. The successful candidate will be able to communicate clear expectations, goals, and vision; manage the performance of direct reports; motivate, coach and mentor skilled professionals; and appropriately delegate project work. The candidate must be capable to manage collaboration and positive team culture to achieve successful results.
- Direct multiple design teams simultaneously executing various projects and programs for multiple clients
- Develop a team of engineers by training, coaching, and nurturing Leidos’ engineering talent
- Supervise staff by approving timesheets and running the annual performance review process
- Participate proactively as a member of the leadership team of the Transmission Line Section
- Create responses to RFPs, RFIs, and RFQs from clients for new work including proposal creation and definition of scope of work
- Possess a growth mindset to foster creative problem solving for our clients’ most complex issues
- Promote continuous improvement to develop streamlined processes and tools that facilitate improvements to departmental technical resources via innovation and automation
- Delegate tasks to staff, forecast and plan their future workload, and run recruiting activities to support aggressive growth goals
- Drive the quality control process for the execution team to ensure the highest level of quality in all deliverables
- Liaise with clients to maximize affinity, facilitate business development growth, and foster long-term relationship building
- Manage the health of project portfolio by proactive project management in tracking scope, schedules, and budget with support from Leidos’ Project Management Office
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering; Civil Engineering is preferred
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the design of electric utility transmission systems with a Bachelor’s, or 8+ years of such experience with a Master's degree
- Expertise in PLS-CADD and PLS-POLE
- Work effectively in team environment; can also work independently
- Track record of outstanding communication to serve as primary point of contact for existing and perspective clients
- Business acumen with a record of understanding and meeting key project performance metrics
- Working onsite in Leidos or client office is a possibility; some periodic travel may be required
- Ability and passion to develop staff through mentoring
- 2+ years of supervising staff
- M.S. degree in Structural Engineering
- Experience with TOWER
- EIT or PE certification
- Experience with LPILE or FAD, Mathcad, AutoCAD or MicroStation, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is a plus
Ideally, candidate would be within driving distance of Walled Lake, MI. As a position with supervisory responsibilities, the candidate will be expected to report in-person in a full time or hybrid schedule. However, all qualified candidates residing in the U.S. will be considered including those for work-remote only.
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Pay Range:Pay Range $84,500.00 - $130,000.00 - $175,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.