Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
The Leidos Innovations Center has an immediate opening for a Sr. Mechanical Engineer to work in our La Jolla office in San Diego, CA. This is an exciting opportunity to leverage your experience to develop and produce advanced nuclear detection instruments, radiography equipment, satellite payloads, and chemical & biological sensing instruments as the lead mechanical engineer on a variety of projects and systems. Emphasis is on research and development programs with activities ranging from support of early scientific research to transitioning products to production.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Design, develop, integrate, and test all aspects of mechanical designs for Chemical, Biological, Radiation, Nuclear, and Space sensor systems for federal government customers.
- Collaborate in scientific research, engineering product development, and test activities.
- Contribute to design reviews and present designs for review.
- Work independently and use judgement to perform engineering tasks with uncertain and evolving requirements.
- Evaluate physical systems for thermal, vibration, and structural performance before they are built.
- Collect performance data from various sensors, and effectively present results.
- Provide mentorship and supervision to junior staff.
- 0-15% travel to customer sites as required.
What Sets You Apart:
- B.S. degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related field from an accredited college/university and 8+ years of relevant experience as a mechanical engineer in an R&D environment. Masters’ degree or Ph.D. preferred.
- Must be a U.S Citizen and be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
- Demonstrated design experience in at least three of the following areas: Optics and optical packaging, fabrication with composites materials, mechanisms for use in space environment, materials for space environment, microfluidics systems (µL scale), shock and vibration analysis, precision motion systems, MIL-STD-810 testing, systems engineering, technical project planning, heat transfer and thermodynamics.
- Experience with definition, setup, characterization and testing of complex systems, for requirements validation.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate work with others. Good oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with cross-functional R&D development teams.
- Motivated self-starter able to work under minimal supervision with an entrepreneurial approach to roles and responsibilities.
- Well-organized, reliable, attention to detail, demonstrated personal initiative. Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload.
- Able to build BOM’s and assembly work instructions.
- Familiarity with Solidworks as a primary design tool.
You’ll really WOW us having one or more of the following:
- Masters’ degree or Ph.D.
- Experience leading small teams on projects or tasks.
- Experience with GD&T per ASME Y14.5
- Hold an active Secret Clearance or higher.
- Familiarity with Python, Matlab, or Mathcad
- Experience programming and basic coding for motor-actuated mechanical systems
- Experience with Solidworks Simulation, ANSYS, or similar FEA software
Pay Range:Pay Range $101,400.00 - $183,300.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:12/11/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.