Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
The Mission Operations Division within the Airborne Solutions Operations (ASO) of the Leidos Defense Group has an opening for a Senior Lidar Subject Matter Expert (SME) to work in Alexandria, VA, at AGC and Leidos offices. The successful candidate is an accomplished professional in geospatial/remote sensing, with specific experience in topographic and bathymetric lidar sensing.
THE CHALLENGE (primary responsibilities)
The Sr. Lidar SME will:
- Lead topographical and bathymetric sensing from airborne platforms from inception to completion
- Diagnose and troubleshoot issues with sensors
- Support development of new data acquisition and processing procedures
- Investigate and identify new and emerging technologies
- Support process improvement, automation, and machine learning initiatives and practices to advance data processing and analytics
- Work on complex projects with no supervision
- Support digital modernization initiatives
WHAT SETS YOU APART (basic qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, Engineering, or related field
- Experience with lidar sensors and lidar classification and DEM creation
- Working knowledge of topo-bathy lidar sensors, including sensor hardware, operation, maintenance, flight planning, and processing
- Thorough understanding of geospatial projections and ellipsoid/geoid elevation data
- Able to perform work in Alexandria, VA at Leidos and customer facilities
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret security clearance
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Qualifications, not required.
- Experience with lidar sensors, including Geiger-mode, single-photon, and linear-mode lidar, specifically Optech T2000, Leica ALS80/Terrain Mapper, Leica City Mapper 2
- Experience with bathymetric sensors, specific experience with Leica’s Chiroptera 5 sensor
- Hands on sensor installation and operation
- Hands on sensor repairs and maintenance
- Experience with software packages; Inertial Explorer, Pospac, Mission Pro, FMS NAV, Flight Pro, HxMap, LMS, TerraScan, TerraMatch, QT Modeler, ARC Map, QGIS
- Understanding of lidar sensor design, troubleshooting, and repairs
- Experience with other airborne sensors, such as imagery, hyperspectral, radar, SAR, IFSAR, DF GEO
- Competent with IT infrastructure, configuration and optimization (to optimize data processing)
Pay Range:Pay Range $75,400.00 - $116,000.00 - $156,600.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.