The Space Systems Research Branch within the Leidos Innovation Center at Leidos currently has an opening for a Chief Payload Engineer to work in our San Diego, CA office. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience leading the engineering design, build and test Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) payloads where Leidos is transforming the payload solutions for the future.
- Responsible for applied research and advanced engineering in the development of new electro-optical/Infrared (EO/IR) sensors, components, and subassemblies.
- On a project basis, directs and coordinates all activities necessary to complete major projects requiring a wide variety of technical skills.
- Organizes and reviews technical effort, documentation, and deliverables on contracts in conjunction with program management staff.
- Serves as the technical lead for assigned EO/IR system proposals and assists in developing and screening research and development proposals within the department. Assists managers in identifying and evaluating company technical capabilities which will help strengthen proposals, key technologies, and investment strategies directed toward company growth. Assists in evaluating technical capabilities of prospective and existing employees.
Recognized authority in the design, assembly, test, and operation of EO/IR sensors in all domains (ground, air, space) who is capable of handling challenging environments.
- Communication skills necessary to advise, counsel, and/or guide people on complex matters.
- Success is highly dependent upon the level and proficiency of communication/writing skills.
- Must have a Secret security clearance.
- Experience in Space product design, development, and test is required.
- Bachelor’s degree with 12+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10+ years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Specialized experience includeing the use of structured analysis, design methodologies and/or design tools in the development and implementation of large projects and experience leading EO/IR sensor assembly, integration, and test.
- Creative problem solver and demonstrate a broad ranging technical management and team development experience encompassing: Electro-optical multispectral and hyperspectral imaging sensors for ground, airborne and space applications, Visible and infrared focal plane arrays and photo-detector technology, Process and system development, Failure and reliability engineering, Risk analysis and management
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance
Pay Range:Pay Range $122,200.00 - $220,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:12/11/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.