At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customer’s success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Leidos is seeking a Software Engineering Manager to join our team at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in Mclean, Virginia! The dynamic leader will be a key part of the Leidos team, supporting Connected Automated Vehicle (CAV) research across the U.S. through our work at the U.S. Department of Transportation's (USDOT) Saxton Laboratory (STOL). Our team helps to develop emerging technologies to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. The STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies. Learn more about STOL here!
This is an opportunity for an individual seeking a leadership role in a fast-paced environment working directly with state and local DOTs as well as technology vendors in the CAV industry. To succeed in this position, we need a solid software development team manager with experience leading a team of 15+ software developers to aid multiple research and development projects such as Vehicle to Everything (V2X) and Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA) in a matrix organization. Engineering life cycle activities will include detailed software design, coding, unit testing, automated test planning and development, software integration, configuration management, version control, system testing, user documentation, customer interaction, and team management.
Your greatest work is ahead!
- Staff management & development, supervising a team of approximately 15-20 people.
- Staff planning, including adjusting to shifting priorities and solving problems quickly.
- Mentoring staff to maintain high levels of performance and positive morale.
- Collaborate with internal functional and project managers, and customers in forming strategies to improve performance.
- Act as scrum of scrums master to manage work streams of multiple sprint teams.
- Manage release plan and road map for agile development.
- Lead scrum team as scrum master for multiple projects.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Agile development methods and processes.
- Manage software development processes using GitHub, Atlassian Jira and Confluence, Sonar Cloud.
- B.S. in computer science, engineering, or other science disciplines with 8+ years of prior relevant experience, or Master's Degree with 6+ years of prior relevant experience.
- Hands-on experience coding with C++ and/or Java/J2EE software development.
- Skilled in designing, developing, and managing applications using both relational and non-relational databases.
- Understand and leverage common software development architectural styles and patterns (SOA, Microservices, etc.).
- Understand and apply quality techniques and practices (automated unit testing, Test Driven Design/Development, continuous integration).
- Familiarity with communication protocols, such as TCP, UDP, SNMP.
- Design and develop fully scalable applications.
- Professional writing and oral presentation skills.
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies and life cycle.
- Knowledge or experience analyzing or developing ITS and/or control systems.
- Experience developing real-time, embedded software is a plus.
- Version control architecture and management skills.
- Experience developing architecture and designing complex systems.
- Strong knowledge of ITS, V2X.
- Knowledge of NTCIP, SAE, and IEEE standards as they pertain to ITS and Connected Vehicle domains.
- Familiarity with Cooperative Driving Automation domain is a plus
- Experience in business and proposal development.
You Might Also Have:
- Experience with Software Architecture and Software Release.
- Experience with message queues/message brokers/data streaming such as Apache Kafka, and NATS.
- Experience developing and consuming SOAP and/or REST web services using specifications such as Open API.
- Experience with automation or robotics principles
- Basic familiarity with the physics of a moving vehicle, especially as relates to lateral control and steering.
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience working with or implementing telematics systems and data visualization technologies.
- Experience with Git, Docker (including Docker-compose), and continuous integration/continuous deployment using Docker and Sonar Cloud.
- Experience with Spring framework
- Experience working on Agile projects and working with Agile toolsets, such as JIRA and Confluence
- Hands-on experience developing code with Unity/HTC Vive
- Highly proactive, self-motivated, and has sharp self-time management.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task.
- Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work independently.
- Flexible and comfortable with changing direction and competing priorities.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance (which includes three years of immediate residency in the US).
At Leidos, the opportunities are boundless. We challenge our staff with interesting assignments that provide them with an opportunity to thrive, professionally and personally. For us, helping you grow your career is good business. We’d like to learn more about you, apply today!
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.