Leidos Civil Group has an immediate opening for a Network Operations (NetOps) Engineer to join our Enterprise IT Modernization team in support of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) Central Operations (NCO) Network Infrastructure Services Contract. NCO is an office under the National Weather Service (NWS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), U.S. Department of Commerce.
In this role, you will provide engineering support to the NCEP customer on their network infrastructure, including operations and maintenance (O&M) of networking services, equipment, and software. These network support services require operating within a Federal Information Security Modernization Act (FISMA) High Impact System, per Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) publication 199. The NCO networks are maintained in accordance with all Federal guidelines related to FISMA domains. You will solve the customer’s most demanding challenges thru innovation, technology modernization, and transformation processes, using proven industry methods and vendor solutions. The Network Engineer will support network operations support inclusive of installation, configuration, maintenance, monitoring, optimization, patching, security hardening, troubleshooting, recovery, and decommissioning to the existing network infrastructure equipment and circuits.
- Coordinates network administration, design and configuration and performance requirements with other members of the networking team.
- Prepares technical implementation plans that provide integrated solutions, including actions, milestones, timelines and critical paths required for complete solutions.
- Research applicable standards and requirements documents to assure network compliance.
- Plans for and provides reasonable responsiveness in terms of network performance (e.g., availability, reliability, throughput).
- Prepares activity and progress reports for the Government regarding network performance initiatives.
- Troubleshoot Network problems and resolve as appropriate.
- Maintain and configure local area networks (LAN) and Wide Area Networks (WAN)
- Bachelor’s Degree in an IT field and 8 years experience, Associates Degree and 12+ years of experience, or at least 15 years Network Engineering/Administration experience. Years of experience must be in Network Engineering/Administration or similar field.
- Must be a Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) in Routing and Switching
- Must have at least three (3) years hands-on experience managing Cisco Firepower Threat Defense
- Must have hands-on experience with Juniper networks
- Shall be able to work independently and provide input/recommendations into designing and configuring enterprise networks to successfully execute requirements.
- Must be able to efficiently troubleshoot complex networking problems to resolution.
- Must have experience working independently within complex enterprise networks.
- Must be a Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) or equivalent.
- Must have experience with Cisco Firepower Threat Defense or similar technology.
- Must have experience using Solarwinds or equivalent network monitoring tools.
- Must have at least 3 years hands-on experience working with Juniper or Cisco network firewalls, switches, and routers.
- Must have or be able to obtain the CompTIA security+ or equivalent certification within 6 months of hire and maintain throughout employment.
- Must be able to provide technical leadership and consultation in the areas of enterprise network operations and best practices, enterprise routing, network systems programming and configuration, enterprise network security and best practices, network system integration, and/or enterprise network management OR the analysis, development, and operational support of highly complex technologies affecting multiple networking infrastructure areas. Performs a variety of tasks; Leads and directs the work of others.
- Must be U.S. citizen or legal permanent U.S. resident.
- Must be able to pass a background check and qualify for a Federal Position of Trust.
- Excellent communication skills in team environments and superior customer service skills are mandatory.
- Prior federal contracting experience.
- Strong knowledge of the OSI 7-layer model
- Must have network and firewall engineering experience with designing, implementation, and maintaining Layer 2 and 3 networking devices and/or firewall devices such as Cisco, Juniper, Dell, Fortinet, and/or Palo Alto
- Familiarity with these technologies:
- Analog Telecommunications (POTS Lines)
- Audio Encoding over IP
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
- Cisco Command line
- Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA)
- Cisco Aggregation Services Routers (ASR)
- Cisco Catalyst
- Cisco Firewall Management Center (FMC) Management
- Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD)
- Cisco Optical Networking Services (ONS)
- Cisco Nexus
- Coding Language to Script Automation (Such as Python)
- Command line and GUI experience with network firewalls, switches, and routers
- Data Center Cabling
- Dark Fiber
- Diagramming applications (such as Visio)
- Enterprise Routing/Switching
- Firewall Management
- Juniper Command Line
- Juniper Technologies
- LAN Architecture
- LTE Routing Technology
- Network Architecture & Design
- Network Monitoring
- Network Operations
- Network Security
- Network Troubleshooting
- Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) protocol
- Out of Band Management
- Satellite Modulation/Demodulation
- Technical Communication
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) Technologies
- Wide Area Network (WAN) Routing and Architecture
- Wireless Networking
- College Park, Maryland
- Boulder, Colorado
*Salary Range for this position: $125K to $145K *
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $176,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.