The National Security Space Operation (NSS) at Leidos is seeking a talented Software Engineer Lead to join a diverse team in Huntsville, Alabama to create unique solutions for complex problems. With offices across the United States engaging in the defense, space, cyber and commercial fields, NSS provides alert, cost-effective engineering, scientific and IT solutions.
In anticipation of award for the Space Development Agency’s (SDA) National Defense Space Architecture Tranche 2 Tracking Layer program, NSS is seeking to fill a key position of Software Engineer Lead. The T2 Tracking Layer effort will provide the capability to provide global, consistent indications, detection, warning, tracking, and identification of advanced missile threats, including hypersonic missile systems. The T2 Tracking Layer scope includes up to 27 space vehicles (SVs), ground systems as well as operations with a total period of performance up to 8 years. Each SV is equipped with an IR mission payload, three (3) Optical Communications Terminals (OCT), and Ka-band communications payload. Dynetics is a top provider of missile warning/missile tracking technology with awards on SDA Tranche 0 and Tranche 1 for critical IR mission payloads.
- Coordinate software efforts across multiple programs including on-orbit embedded software, ground support software, test equipment software, and software and hardware in the loop simulators.
- Implement development in a CI/CD DevSecOps environment using automated build, cybersecurity and testing.
- Define modular software architecture and code repositories to enable code reuse.
- Support proposals by generating technical solutions and estimates of labor and material.
- Lead development of embedded software and firmware for satellite payload programs.
- Work with the engineering team to integrate space hardware and software, including camera drive electronics, FPGA processing boards, power systems, DSP/ARM/PowerPC boards, PCI & VPX busses, stepper motor controllers, health, and status circuits, cryocoolers, and spacecraft data interfaces.
- Conduct design trades of complexity and performance between the payload’s optical front end, algorithm implementation, firmware architecture, and the software architecture.
- Investigate potential processing architectures which may incorporate GPUs, CPUs, FPGAs, SoC, and other cutting-edge technologies.
- Participate and lead in all phases of the effort from detailed requirements flow down, trade studies, processing architecture design, hardware selection, firmware and software development, payload integration and test, spacecraft I&T, and on-orbit support.
- Conduct testing, characterization, and analysis of electro-optical systems.
- Collaborate with signal processing experts, software leads, and FPGA designers.
- Produce reports, presentations, and participate in working groups.
- Mentor Junior software engineers in good engineering practices.
- Bachelor's Degree in Software or Computer Engineering and 12+ years’ experience or Master’s Degree with 10+ years of experience. May possess a Ph.D. with 8+ years of experience.
- U.S Citizen and must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD SECRET clearance.
- Expert level experience coding in C, C++.
- Ability to model system performance using MATLAB or similar toolset. Familiarity with Java, C, C++, and RTOS a plus.
- Experience with image processing algorithms, Kalman filtering, and closed-loop control systems.
- Advanced proficiency in basic lab tools such as scopes and logic analyzers required.
- In depth understanding and working knowledge of technical principles, theories, concepts and their application across a range of programs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Motivated self-starter.
- Experience implementing interfaces such as 1GE Ethernet, 40G QSFP+, LVDS, and serial busses.
- Demonstrated experience working in and leading small engineering teams.
- Experience with adaptive signal processing.
- Experience with embedded C and RTOS.
- Have a current OR ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
- Candidate must be a US Citizen and be able to possess (and maintain) a final Secret security clearance or meet the eligibility to obtain (and maintain) a Secret security clearance.
Pay Range:Pay Range $118,300.00 - $213,850.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.