The Defense Group at Leidos has an opening for a Documentation Specialist/Technical Writer at Fort Gordon, GA. The Technical Writer will perform a variety of writing, editing, and research duties in connection with the preparation of technical manuals and technical publications on the theory, installation, operation, and maintenance of a variety of complex electronics equipment or systems.
Candidate will work with subject-matter experts to gather information, identify relevant data and audiences, and write documents that are clear and user friendly. The Technical Writer will be responsible for providing input to the Technical Manual packages geared toward the efficiency of installation, integration maintenance and operations of the product line. Secondary responsibilities of the candidate will be to prepare, maintain and input all courseware and updates put into the TRADOC approved automated learning content management system, which is the Training Development Capability (TDC). Provide continued courseware development, course outline, lessons, and lesson plans. Continued courseware entails incorporating new and emerging training requirements, to include any revisions necessary due to a change in critical task and concepts as they develop into existing courseware to stay current with training events.
Will be responsible for providing input to the Technical Manual, both Military and COTS formats, and packages geared toward the efficiency of the installation, integration, maintenance, and operations of the UNCI product line. Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including engineers, product managers, and subject matter experts, to gather information and translate it into clear, concise, and user-friendly documentation. Create and maintain technical documentation, including user manuals, installation guides, system specifications, and standard operating procedures, adhering to industry best practices and organization standards. Translate complex technical information into clear, concise, and easily understandable language for end-users.
Conduct thorough research to ensure the accuracy and completeness of technical documentation. Assist in the development of templates, style guides, and documentation processes to standardize and streamline documentation efforts. Review and edit technical documents for grammar, clarity, consistency, and adherence to DOD, Army, and PM policies and guidelines. Coordinate with cross-functional teams to ensure documentation meets project deadlines. Stay updated with the latest industry trends and technologies related to tactical communications systems.
- Bachelors Degree and 4 or more years of technical writing experience. Additional directly related experience can offset the degree requirements.
- Active DoD Secret security clearance.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Adobe, Microsoft Office, XML editing tools, and graphic design/formatting
- Must be willing to travel up to 20% as required to accomplish objectives, currently hold US Government Secret Security Clearance, and have a current US Passport.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience as a technical writer, preferably in the military or defense industry.
- Military experience in tactical communications systems is required.
- Must be familiar with the regulatory documents governing the Technical Manual development process. (MIL-STD 40051-B/C, MIL-HDBK-2361D/E and MIL-STD Handbook 1222F/G)
- Strong understanding of military communication protocols, networks, and equipment.
- Proficiency in using authoring tools like MS Office Suite of tools, Adobe FrameMaker, XML editing tools, or similar software.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex technical information into clear and concise documentation for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with document version control systems and content management systems.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, ever-evolving developmental environment is a plus.
Pay Range:Pay Range $48,750.00 - $88,125.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.