The 1901 Group at Leidos seeks a Compute Lead to support the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Information Management Services & Support (IMSS) program. The Compute Lead will serve as the primary POC for all operations, including, but not limited to designing, implementing, migrating, and maintaining the on-premises and cloud computing platforms for FTC, and ensuring the successful interoperability of infrastructure components. The Compute Lead is responsible for planning, designing, and troubleshooting server deployments, configuring multi-server platforms for maximum performance and availability, implementing disaster recovery operations, and working with stakeholders to select compute solutions appropriate for FTC. The Compute Lead will lead systems management functions and participate in the design and implementation of server systems; as well as manage a team of Windows and Unix engineers and administrators to ensure accomplishment of projects and tasks required to maintain and advance the infrastructure.
This position will oversee operations and administration activities related to the performance of routine, preventive, predictive, scheduled, and unscheduled actions to maintain system availability by preventing equipment or system failure or reduced performance, with the goal of increasing efficiency, reliability, and safety of the facility, IT equipment, systems, and applications.
This position requires clear communication with internal team members and across multiple task areas and clients, as well as external organizations (e.g., sub-contractors, vendors, etc.). The position also works to influence project/team leaders regarding solution design, process and/or approaches to continuously improve and modernize the customer’s compute infrastructure.
- Manage a team of IT professionals responsible for supporting the computing platforms within the FTC IT infrastructure.
- Manage all physical, virtual, and cloud-based server environments.
- Ensure achievement of relevant program Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Review and monitor the state of the server environment. React with urgency to identified issues.
- Ensure sound engineering and testing of all infrastructure deployments.
- Initiate compute infrastructure enhancements. Recommend changes to improve overall compute reliability including technology and process. Identify and support strategic improvements to the compute environment including the migration of components and services to the cloud.
- Ensure development and maintenance of documentation describing the compute environment including, but not limited to, architecture diagrams, design documents, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and tracking lists.
- Ensure adherence to the customer’s change management process. Ensure all changes are well documented with test plans, architecture and design documentation, roll-back plans, and any other documentation required by the change process.
- Ensure Configuration Management (CM) of all compute configuration items in the infrastructure.
- Ensure adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Ensure use of customer ticket management solution (ServiceNow) to log and track all activities.
- Ensure the security and vulnerability management of the environment, including patching in accordance with FTC security requirements and defined SLA standards.
- Ensure rapid resolution of all tickets assigned to the team including, but not limited to, upgrades and troubleshooting as well as server and application systems configuration.
- Support asset tracking of compute assets and maintain accurate inventory of the environment.
- Support program reporting requirements.
- Work across teams to identify and resolve complex problems.
- Serve as a member of the on-call and after-hours support rotation.
- Support after hours and weekend maintenance activities as required.
- Work onsite at customer site in Washington, D.C. at least two business days per week, 8 AM – 5 PM Eastern. Up to 50% remote work is allowable with flexibility to support maintenance activities and infrequent unplanned events.
- Attend technical and recurring status meetings as required.
- BA/BS degree in a technical IT domain including Windows or Unix environments; and 5+ years or prior relevant experience; or Masters’ degree with 3+ years of prior relevant experience. Additional years of experience will be acceptable in lieu of a degree.
- Must have at least one of the following current, unexpired certifications: CompTIA Security+, ISC(2) Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP), GIAC Certified Windows Security Administrator (GCWN); Higher level (IAT-3) DoD 8570 certifications are acceptable.
- Strong communication skills – excellent verbal and written skills.
- Familiarity with process frameworks such as the ITIL framework.
- Excellent technical and strong quantitative, analytical, and conceptual thinking skills.
- Experience with server management in a similarly sized environment (150+ servers)
- Experience with Azure cloud for servers and services.
- Experience with Windows server architecture, design, and implementation including Windows 2022.
- Familiarity with Microsoft technologies including Active Directory, SQL, Exchange, and file/print services.
- Experience with data backup/recovery designs and implementations.
- Ability to work overtime and support off-hours maintenance windows as required.
- Ability to perform physical work activities including standing, walking, bending, squatting, (e.g., while deploying or de-commissioning servers) and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Ten+ (10+) years of extensive experience in a server environment of at least 1,500 users to include management, administration, and deployment supporting IT infrastructures and deep understanding of server technologies, virtualization, network protocols, storage solutions, disaster recovery strategies, and security principles.
- Certifications including:
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Cloud Platform and Infrastructure
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect
- Microsoft Azure Administrator Associate Certification
- Microsoft Azure Security Engineer Associate Certification
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
- Unix/Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
- NetApp Certified Data Management Administrator (NCDA)
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certified Solutions Architect
- Google Cloud Certified - Professional Cloud Architect
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Familiarity with SAN and NAS storage administration in Windows and Unix server environments.
- Experience using an enterprise monitoring solution such as SolarWinds or ScienceLogic SL1 for monitoring, capacity analysis and troubleshooting.
- Experience with Unix server architecture, design, and implementation.
- Experience with best practices for Windows Server 2022 on-premises and in Azure Cloud.
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $176,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.