At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customer’s success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Leidos is seeking Distribution Engineers who are passionate about electric utility design engineering. We need someone who is dedicated to ensuring that every project, no matter how simple or complex, is of exceptional quality. You'll be working directly with clients to make sure that Leidos' reputation for high-quality work is always maintained.
At Leidos, we pride ourselves on being a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Our Power Delivery Services Team is the go-to for utilities and mobile operators who need reliable power and telecommunication expertise. We've worked with over 50 investor-owned utilities, over 160 municipals/cooperatives, and we're continuing to expand our reach. Plus, we've got an amazing group of industry-leading construction partners who help us deliver meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions.
Our recognition as an industry leader has been confirmed time and time again. Engineering News-Record (ENR) has ranked Leidos among the Top 10 T&D Firms and Top 10 Power Firms.
As a valued team member, you can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements, as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth opportunities, including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities
- Leadership Training & Mentorship Programs
If you join us in this role, you'll also have the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of areas, including NESC, Structural Pole Modeling, Electrical Power Calculations, GIS design training, Project and Financial Management, and Client Design Standards. Your greatest work is ahead!
As a Distribution Engineer, You can expect to:
- Independently develop design and construction work packages for electrical overhead and underground distribution systems for Leidos electric utility customers
- Review work provided by Client and assess requirements of scopes.
- Perform engineering calculations such as: structural analysis for wood pole loading, guying calculations, specifying conductor sags and tensions for recommended spans, and calculation of voltage drop and flicker.
- Provide engineering support during construction, including post-construction reviews to ensure all applicable engineering and construction standards have been met.
- Conduct root cause analysis of outages and mitigation using engineering principles and design
- Gain experience in coordinating conflicting utilities and other field engineering design requirements, assessing and developing large design packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements, and ROW applications
- Be comfortable in both a field and office setting: the role may require customer-site visits to collect field data that will assist in developing work packages
This position is hybrid in nature, with some time spent working from our Walled Lake, MI office, and some time spent working remotely. The hybrid schedule is at the discretion of the hiring team, and could potentially change in the future, depending on the needs of our utility client.
What Sets You Apart (Background Requirements):
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering discipline (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) from an ABET accredited institution
- A minimum of 1 year of relevant experience is required: Relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company performing electric distribution design engineering
- Experience with distribution design tools such as BOUD, Pole Foreman, Spida-Calc, O-Calc or similar
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to utilize a personal vehicle, as some customer-related travel is anticipated (Job-related travel will be reimbursed at IRS-approved rates)
- Willingness to perform both field and office work; Ability to work in outdoor environments
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
You Might Also Have Some previous experience with:
- Experience with NESC Standards, ESRI, AutoCAD and/or MicroStation, and GIS
- Structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, and electric demand and fault currents calculations.
- Work management software and job estimating software.
- CAD tools
Professional Attributes that will help you succeed in this role:
- Collaborative attitude and inclusivity of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations.
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Positive attitude
- Professional dress and demeanor
At Leidos, the opportunities are boundless. We challenge our staff with interesting assignments that provide them with an opportunity to thrive, professionally and personally. For us, helping you grow your career is good business.
Pay Range:Pay Range $46,800.00 - $84,600.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.