Leidos has an opening for a Principal Research Scientist with a background in sensor science focusing in CBRN sensor phenomenology and signal processing. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience to help grow the Leidos measurement and signatures technologies portfolio of contract and internal R&D projects, benchmarking, and operational prototypes.
In this position, the Principal Research Scientist will help develop and lead a team for the research & development of advanced sensing systems. Successful candidates will have a strong background in advanced signal processing using FPGA and embedded CPU architectures and have led multiple programs from concept to advanced prototype. Candidates may possess the experience of transitioning technologies from engineering prototypes to commercial products within government funded programs.
- Design, build, perform tests, and analyze experiments in various sensing systems and platforms for cutting edge devices in measurement and signature analysis within Chem-Bio, RadNuc, Acoustic-Magnetic, Seismic, and Radio-Frequency domains.
- Writing proposals, publishing papers, attending, and presenting at conferences, and briefing internal and external customers
- Collaborate with other team members, engineers, and scientists across the company and different fields to leverage sensor technologies to achieve organizational goals.
- Masters degree and 8+ years experience in physics, applied physics, engineering, or related fields (additional years of experience in lieu of degree)
- Research experience and experimental background in one or more of the following areas: chem/bio sensing, radiation/nuclear detection & imaging, acoustic/magnetic sensing.
- Experience developing innovative solutions based upon the application of independent research and development.
- Experience in building and managing research and development teams to address technological gaps to help customers achieve mission objectives.
- Experience building and benchmarking hardware and prototypes, to include metrics development, and theoretical/analytical/computational skills.
- Technical writing skills with experience in writing and leading technical proposals.
- US Citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain a US government Secret security clearance.
- Strong desire to learn new technologies and flexibility to work within multiple projects.
- Experience with standard software for analytics or scientific applications such as Python and Matlab.
- Ability to effectively communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ph.D. in physics, Applied Physics, Engineering, or related fields.
- Experience operationalizing machine learning and/or autonomy, and analytical capabilities.
- Experience in FPGA design and high-speed digital interfaces.
- Experience and domain knowledge related to data processing within cloud architectures such as AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Interest and/or experience in quantum computing, quantum communications, and quantum sensing.
- Experience in proposing and winning independent research funding.
- Experience with big data applications, data science, or data analytics methods and tools
- DoD Top Secret Clearance
Pay Range:Pay Range $118,300.00 - $213,850.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.