Leidos is seeking a Lead R&D Engineer to join our team! The dynamic leader will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting Connected Automated Vehicle (CAV) research across the US through our work at the U.S. Department of Transportation's (USDOT) Saxton Laboratory (STOL), located at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA. Our team helps to develop emerging technologies to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. The STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies.
Learn more about STOL here!
This is an opportunity for someone who likes to solve problems and is seeking a leadership role in a fast-paced environment working directly with state and local DOTs as well as technology vendors in the CAV industry. The successful candidate will be a solid, hands-on engineer with experience working with a team to support multiple research and development projects such as Vehicle to Everything (V2X) and Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA) in a matrix organization. Engineering life cycle activities will include detailed design, prototyping, testing, component integration, documentation, customer interaction and team engineering leadership.
The successful candidate will be customer focused with strong communication skills, be attentive to details, proactive to customer needs, and able to problem solve quickly. This engineer will be self-motivated to find solutions and support ongoing lab team efforts and equipment for all day-to-day operations and large-scale special activities across multiple projects.
This position provides diverse job functions of both engineering and operations in nature, including but not limited to:
- Supporting all aspects of day-to-day STOL technical operations.
- Collaborate with managers and project managers to develop and implement plans, schedules, budgets, work efforts, proposals, and procedures.
- Assessing current practices and independently find ways to improve.
- Take initiative to produce deliverables for projects including design, testing, and implementation.
- Understand and improve safety assessments, plans, and compliance.
- Coordinate and support client and guest communications, tours, and demonstrations.
- Maintain vehicle and equipment inventory, tracking, documentation, and record keeping.
- Support procurement, maintenance, and disposal of operations and testbed facility equipment.
- Coordinate full maintenance of all vehicles assigned to STOL.
- Performance tracking, reporting, and communicate accomplishments.
- Proactively coordinate team schedules to ensure asset availability and utilization.
- Coordinating equipment/tools availability for an equipment loan program to offsite users.
- Support the improvement of existing operations including network, router, Wi-Fi, AV equipment, and other technical lab services and equipment.
- A bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, systems, or related engineering field.
- 5+ years relevant experience.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance (which includes three years of immediate residency in the US).
- Prior experience in IT, networking, data management, artificial intelligence, cyber security, or software development.
- Must have valid US Driver's License.
- Self-motivated with ability to self-teach with minimal guidance.
- Interest in hands-on work with hardware and software.
- Ability to test and troubleshoot complex power and communication systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication and time management skills.
- Must follow through on commitments and deliver quality products on or ahead of schedule.
- Knowledge of Connected and Automated Vehicles, Intelligent Transportation Systems, and the transportation industry.
- Interest in solving problems and leading improvements and solutions for a variety of technical areas.
- Prior experience in a research environment and serving as an engineering lead.
- Prior experience in helpdesk services or technical support.
Salary range for this position: $90,000 - $100,000 - $110,000
Pay Range:Pay Range $81,250.00 - $146,875.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:12/11/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.