Leidos is seeking a Systems Engineer to join our team! The dynamic engineer will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting Connected Automated Vehicle (CAV) research across the US through our work at the U.S. Department of Transportation's (USDOT) Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), located at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA. Our team helps to develop emerging technologies to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies.
Learn more about STOL here!
This is an opportunity for someone who likes to solve problems and is seeking a leadership role in a fast-paced environment working directly with state and local DOTs as well as technology vendors in the CAV industry. The successful candidate will be a solid, hands-on systems engineer with experience working with an Agile team to support multiple research and development projects such as Vehicle to Everything (V2X) and Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA) in a matrix organization. Engineering life cycle activities will include feasibility studies, creating concepts of operation, detailed requirements setting, high-level designs, detailed designs, documentation, customer interaction and team systems engineering leadership.
The successful candidate will be customer focused with strong communication skills, be attentive to details, proactive to customer needs, and able to problem solve quickly. This engineer will be self-motivated to find solutions and support ongoing program and project level efforts for all systems engineering and Agile activities across multiple projects.
The Systems Engineer will work to develop ConOps, requirements, use cases, and other system level specifications, and organize system level testing to verify compliance to these specifications. Systems of interest relate to the following:
· Vehicle-to-infrastructure and vehicle-to-vehicle emerging technologies
· Automated vehicles
· Traffic operations
· Intelligent transportation systems
The Agile Systems Engineer will be part of a larger research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA via developing, testing, and demonstrating new capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication. The Agile Systems Engineer will perform technical work and develop deliverables as needed.
Primary job functions will include:
· Works with customer product owners and team members on sprint backlog grooming by translating functional requirements into Agile backlog items in Jira using personas, epics, features and stories.
· Maintains product roadmaps, release plans, testing schedule and other documentation using Agile tools in Confluence and Jira.
· Manages process improvements efforts and quality control.
· Participates in Scrum of Scrum activities and leading related initiatives.
· Reports on Agile events such as sprint planning and review activity.
· Manages public and private documentation stores on Confluence.
· Manages workflow and ticketing process on Jira, including maintaining automated interactions among Jira, Confluence, Github, and the Circle CI continuous integration server.
· Develops, edits or reviews system level test plans and detailed test cases, given requirements or enhancement descriptions.
· Executes system tests, documenting anomalies and tracking them to closure; manage documentation of test results where appropriate to ensure testing requirements have been met in a timely manner. Test execution may involve operation of vehicles with various levels of automation on closed test tracks or public roads.
· Contributes to occasional demonstrations, meetings, and webinars.
· Produces clear and concise written communication and deliverables.
· Participates in routine peer reviews of your work and providing critical review of others’ work products.
· Contributes to writing of technical reports.
· Freedom to lead, manage, own, and develop solutions to issues and needed program improvements.
· Develops strong client interaction and relationship..
Required Education & Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with 4+ years of experience in software and systems development projects, or a master’s degree from an accredited college or university with 2+ years of experience in software and systems development projects.
· Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance (which includes three years of immediate residency in the US).
· Experience in Agile SDLC methodology with scrums and sprints.
· Experience managing Atlassian Jira and Confluence environment.
· Must have valid driver's license and ability to pass DMV background check.
· Experience in formulation and definition of user requirements or stories, system use cases, business process workflows, enterprise architectures, systems specifications and design based on user needs, research, and fact-finding.
· Experience with stakeholder engagement sessions to elicit user needs, business architectures, processes, and gaps.
· Working knowledge of system and software design processes, tools, and techniques.
· Have strong customer and client relations management skills.
· Excellent presentation, writing and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate information concisely and effectively.
· Must be proactive in actions and communications, and able to follow-through on commitments and deliver quality products ahead of or on schedule.
· Scrum Master certification.
· GitHub, JIRA, and Confluence configuration and customization.
· Data management.
· Testing execution and data analysis.
· DevOps, CI/CD experience.
· Cybersecurity operations.
Anticipated pay for this role: $95,000 - $105,000 - $115,000
Pay Range:Pay Range $81,250.00 - $146,875.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:10/23/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.