At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customer’s success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
In order to provide support for our local utility clients, Candidates must be located in the Northeastern United States in order to be considered. While this role may allow for remote work, Candidates should reside in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island or other neighboring/adjacent state. Relocation Assistance can be provided to qualified candidates who are able to relocate to the Framingham, Massachusetts area.
Leidos is seeking a Senior Distribution Engineer who is passionate about electric utility design engineering. We’re looking for someone who is dedicated to ensuring that every project, no matter how simple or complex, is of exceptional quality. You'll be working directly with clients to make sure that Leidos' reputation for high-quality work is always maintained.
At Leidos, we pride ourselves on being a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Our Power Delivery Services Team is the go-to for utilities and mobile operators who need reliable power and telecommunication expertise. We've worked with over 50 investor-owned utilities, over 160 municipals/cooperatives, and we're continuing to expand our reach. Plus, we've got an amazing group of industry-leading construction partners who help us deliver meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions.
Our recognition as an industry leader has been confirmed time and time again. Engineering News-Record (ENR) has ranked Leidos among the Top 10 T&D Firms and Top 10 Power Firms.
As a valued team member, you can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements, as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth opportunities, including:
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Mentorship Programs
- Management opportunities
If you join us in this role, you'll also have the opportunity to gain expertise in a variety of areas, including NESC, Structural Pole Modeling, Electrical Power Calculations, GIS design training, Project and Financial Management, and Client Design Standards. Your greatest work is ahead!
As a Senior Distribution Engineer, You can expect to:
- Perform design engineering for Leidos electric utility customers; You may likely have QAQC responsibilities within your team
- Develop work packages for OH, UG, URD, Make Ready, and Street Light projects, using customer GIS and WMS systems such as DDS, GDT, GE Smallworld, Bentley Expert Designer, and Maximo
- Manage scope, schedule, and budget of work assigned.
- Review engineering design packages with clients
- Perform functional tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
- Perform scope analysis of work assigned and maintain schedule adherence to advocate client priorities
- Initiate continuous improvement to workflow processes that drive efficiency and high-quality standards in client design deliverables
- Gain experience in coordinating conflicting utilities and other field engineering design requirements, assessing and developing large design packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements, and ROW applications
Candidates with multiple years of experience may have the opportunity to lead, mentor and/or develop a team of engineers and designers.
What Sets You Apart (Background Requirements):
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering discipline (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) from an ABET accredited institution
- A minimum of 4 years of prior relevant experience is required working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company performing design engineering for electric distribution.
- Experience and demonstrated proficiency with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
- Prior experience with structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, and electric demand and fault currents calculations.
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to provide your own reliable transportation; This position may involve some local or regional travel, including customer meeting or site visits to collect data. (All customer-related travel will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates).
You Might Also Have Some previous experience with:
- Providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC.
- Design tools such as Pole Foreman, SOCKET, Spida-Calc, DDS.
- MicroStation -performing Electrical Distribution design.
- Work management software and job estimating software.
- CAD tools
Professional Attributes that will help you succeed in this role:
- Collaborative attitude and inclusivity of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations.
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Positive attitude
- Professional dress and demeanor
At Leidos, the opportunities are boundless. We challenge our staff with interesting assignments that provide them with an opportunity to thrive, professionally and personally. For us, helping you grow your career is good business.
Leidos Civil Group helps modernize infrastructure, systems, and security. We are a trusted partner to both government and highly-regulated commercial customers looking for transformative solutions in mission IT, security, software, engineering, and operations. We work with our customers including the FAA, DOE, NASA, National Science Foundation, Transportation Security Administration, Custom and Border Protection, airports, and electric utilities to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient. Our customers take on the toughest challenges out there, and at times need a helping hand from specialists in their fields. We combine our scale as a Fortune 500 company with the deep technical knowledge of our core capabilities and the expertise of our talented and diverse workforce to deliver mission-centric innovations. For each of these core capabilities, we have developed proven, repeatable processes that help us deliver agile, cost-effective solutions to foster a better world. To explore and learn more, click here!
Join our team and discover a culture of collaboration, innovation, diversity, communication transparency, work-life balance, and overall job satisfaction.
Pay Range:Pay Range $68,900.00 - $124,550.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:10/31/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.