Leidos, under the NISC IV program, is seeking experienced candidates for the role of Civil Engineer to serve as project engineers responsible for planning and design activities to support the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) facility modernization projects. This position involves the development of project plans, project scopes, schedules, costs, and resource requirements and the development of drawings, specifications, and risk management documents in coordination with facility stakeholders from Technical Operations and Air Traffic organizations. This includes environmental equipment and mechanical system installations, roofing, parking lots, facility refurbishment, and security door installations. These projects are in the Central Service Area of the FAA and are managed out of regional offices located in Fort Worth, Texas, Des Plaines, IL and Kansas City, MO.
We are seeking a talented and energetic candidate to work with the best and brightest employees around the country in creating innovative all-encompassing solutions for our programs. You will work in a fast-paced and diverse environment, enjoy flexible work arrangements, and will have a management team that encourages your career development and growth. In this role, you will gain many intangible skills, such as time and task management, critical thinking and problem solving, the ability to communicate complicated problems in a concise manner, as well as solve complex problems using available tools.
The candidate will support the FAA’s Engineering Services Terminal team by applying broad experience and advanced technical knowledge on multiple, varying, and complex assignments. It is necessary to plan, coordinate and perform work with a high degree of independence, while keeping the Project Engineer advised of significant problem areas.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Perform on-site surveys to develop “to-scale” designs and detailed reports.
- Generate sketches showing relation of proposed installation in existing or new facilities with exact specifications and dimensions.
- Participate in construction inspections and final inspections.
- Confer with engineering staff and other personnel to identify and resolve problems with the design or implementation.
- Coordinate design components with a multi-disciplinary as required for site-specific modifications and new construction.
- Prepare AutoCAD construction drawings and prepare site-specific specifications and contract documents and independent cost estimates.
- Perform project management related tasks and communication (including safety plans, sequence of work, cutover plans).
- Generate and coordinate the Integrated Risk Management Checklists (IRMC), communication plans, project risk register, to meet Operational Risk Management (ORM) requirements.
- Coordinate and complete Work Permits required for potential impact to lead and asbestos that may be encountered during construction.
- Participate in meetings inclusive of the pre-construction meeting and on-site construction meetings with stakeholders to coordinate with other ongoing construction and projects.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate construction project activities to meet milestones and deadlines, working directly with stakeholders and contractors.
- Manage and participate in on-site cutovers, testing and restoration of facilities.
- Prepare, maintain, and provide periodic updates of project to team, management, and stakeholders.
- Manage multiple projects towards successful on-time completion.
- Review contractor design and construction submittals.
- Provide technical engineering support for all phases of assigned new construction and renovation projects (i.e., evaluate shop drawings, design proposals, and interpret the technical requirements for adherence to contract documents).
- Perform internal design reviews of FAA designed engineering projects.
- Track and reconcile and coordinate closure of Joint Acceptance Inspections (JAI) and Contractor Acceptance Inspections (CAI) on all assigned projects and provide recommended resolutions on all items related to engineering.
- Review project deliverables and provide verbal and written communication to the findings.
- Provide and coordinate timely response for project RFIs (Requests for Information) and project related submittals.
- Monitor progress of projects and stakeholder needs.
- Work independently to evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques and procedures, using judgement in making adaptations and modifications to Engineering designs.
- Must have a Civil or Structural Engineering degree from a 4 year ABET accredited College/University
- At least 6 years of experience of foundation design as well as industrial structural systems (steel and concrete) is required with commercial, industrial and/or government facilities.
- Must have current and relevant knowledge of building structural codes to be able to perform structural design calculations and conduct engineering assessments.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Engineering Scheduling tools and applications, and be able to use the Internet as a gathering and communicating tool.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD / MicroStation.
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and verbal form.
- Ability to accomplish clear and concise general and technical writing and tactfully coordinate with a variety of project stake holders, peers, and management levels.
- Ability to maintain an electronic project folder (as required) related to site preparation and equipment installation problems.
- Must be able to obtain an FAA Public Trust prior to starting. To be eligible for the Public Trust Suitability you must be either a US Citizen or a Green Card Holder who has resided in the United States for the past 3 years.
- A new hires must pass a drug test prior to starting with Leidos.
Pay Range:Pay Range $68,900.00 - $124,550.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:12/11/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.