Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customer’s success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
The Security Enterprise Solutions (SES) operation at Leidos currently has an opening for an Electrical Engineer to work for the Ports and Borders (P&B) business unit in our Vista, CA facility. The P&B business unit at Leidos designs and manufactures highly complex security equipment for use at border crossings, airports, seaports, and other transportation mechanisms. Our products include radiation detectors and spectrometers, and Xray scanners for cars, trucks, and trains.
- Work as part of a cross-functional engineering team with Scientists, Mechanical and Software Engineers, and Test Engineers to develop next-generation X-ray based security equipment.
- Design microcontroller and PLC-based machine control systems, including circuit design, embedded programming, motion control, and power distribution.
- Develop X-ray detector data acquisition systems for R&D and production equipment.
- Perform sustaining engineering of existing products, including obsolescence issues and feature changes/updates.
- Design printed circuits and direct PCB layout, fabrication, and assembly.
- Produce Engineering documentation such as design specifications, interface control documents, schematics, wiring diagrams, and bills of material.
- Troubleshoot existing and new designs down to the component level, performing root cause analysis.
- Typically, we have no more than 2-3 Electrical Engineers working on any single project, and for smaller projects the Engineer will work on their own to develop solutions, present concepts and designs in a review, and complete the implementation.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or similar with at least 4+ years of professional experience or master's degree and 2+ years experience. May consider additional years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- Must have the ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance (US Citizenship required.)
- Able to see a design through from R&D to production, including writing specifications (system, subsystem, ICD’s, etc), developing design documentation, building prototypes, designing test fixtures, designing for production, and troubleshooting problems.
- Proficient in digital and/or analog circuit design
- Familiar with schematic capture and PCB layout tools (Orcad and PADS preferred)
- Familiar with PCB design and fabrication processes
- Knowledge of programming languages such as C, VHDL, IEC61131
- Experience with electrical test equipment such as oscilloscopes, DMMs, function generators, bench supplies
- Familiar with a product development process including design specifications, design reviews, Engineering drawings and documentation formats, and ECR processes
- Comfortable working with and around Xray radiation producing machines, radioactive materials, high voltage, heavy machinery, electric and hydraulic power systems.
- Able to effectively work with a cross-functional team of scientists, engineers, and technicians, as well as handle a wide range of multidisciplinary tasks.
- Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull 200 lbs.
- Job requires frequent bending, stooping, twisting, turning, climbing and working in unusual positions requiring full body mobility.
- Must be able to work safely and follow safety precautions in extreme environments (temperature, humidity, noise, confined spaces, etc.) around dangerous industrial equipment.
- Knowledge of radiation detection technologies and data acquisition systems
- Knowledge of Xray producing machinery
- Experience developing system architectures and designs for complex systems
- Ability to obtain a SECRET clearance, access SSI
The Leidos Security Enterprise Solutions (SES) team has developed a suite of integrated solutions for aviation, ports, borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world. We provide automated threat detection for weapons, narcotics, explosives, contraband, and undeclared goods, as well as nuclear and radioactive materials, by leveraging industry leading screening technologies, AI/ML capabilities and advanced biometric tools. We have more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries, including best-in-class security checkpoint and inspection systems for people, checked baggage and more.
Check out the links below to learn more about Security Enterprise Solutions (SES)
Pay Range:Pay Range $81,250.00 - $146,875.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:11/07/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.