Unleash Your Potential
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customer’s success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
This role is located in Walled Lake, Michigan. Relocation Assistance can be provided to the selected candidate in order to relocate the Walled Lake, area.
We are seeking a Lead Distribution Engineer who is passionate about electric utility design engineering. We’re looking for someone who is dedicated to ensuring that every project, no matter how simple or complex, is of exceptional quality. You'll be working directly with clients to make sure that Leidos' reputation for high-quality work is always maintained.
At Leidos, we pride ourselves on being a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Our Power Delivery Services Team is the go-to for utilities and mobile operators who need reliable power and telecommunication expertise. We've worked with over 50 investor-owned utilities, over 160 municipals/cooperatives, and we're continuing to expand our reach. Plus, we've got an amazing group of industry-leading construction partners who help us deliver meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions.
Our recognition as an industry leader has been confirmed time and time again. Engineering News-Record (ENR) has ranked Leidos among the Top 10 T&D Firms and Top 10 Power Firms.
As a valued team member, you can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements, as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth opportunities, including:
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Formal Mentorship programs
- Management opportunities
If you join us in this role, you'll also have the opportunity to gain expertise in a variety of areas, including NESC, Structural Pole Modeling, Electrical Power Calculations, GIS design training, Project and Financial Management, and Client Design Standards. Your greatest work is ahead!
As a Lead Distribution Engineer, You can expect to:
- Assist in the oversight of your team's design engineering for Leidos electric utility customers; you may also be performing individual design tasks in addition to QC efforts within your group
- Develop work packages for OH, UG, URD, Make Ready, and Street Light projects, using customer GIS and Work Management systems
- Manage scope, schedule, and budget of work assigned.
- Review engineering design packages with clients
- Perform functional tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
- Perform scope analysis of work assigned and maintain schedule adherence to advocate client priorities
- Initiate continuous improvement to workflow processes that drive efficiency and high-quality standards in client design deliverables
- Coordinate conflicting utilities and other field engineering design requirements, assessing and developing large design packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements, and ROW applications
- Be comfortable in both a field and office setting: the role may require customer-site visits to collect field data that will assist in developing work packages
What Sets You Apart (Background Requirements):
- A minimum of 3 years of prior relevant experience: Relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company performing design engineering for electric distribution.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering discipline (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) from an ABET accredited program/institution; Additional Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
- Experience and demonstrated proficiency with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
- Some Prior experience with structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, and electric demand and fault currents calculations.
- Ability to provide your own reliable transportation, as some customer-related travel is anticipated (Job-related travel will be reimbursed at IRS-approved rates).
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
You Might Also Have Some previous experience with:
- Providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC.
- MicroStation -performing Electrical Distribution design.
- Work management software and job estimating software.
- CAD tools
- Formal or informal leadership positions
Professional Attributes that will help you succeed in this role:
- Collaborative attitude and inclusivity of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations.
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Positive attitude
- Professional dress and demeanor
At Leidos, the opportunities are boundless. We challenge our staff with interesting assignments that provide them with an opportunity to thrive, professionally and personally
Pay Range:Pay Range $68,900.00 - $124,550.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.