Leidos’ NISC IV Program (National Airspace System Integration Support Contract) is one of the largest and oldest programs supporting the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and we have an exciting career opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer.
The Leidos Civil Group is seeking a dynamic mechanical engineer to join the NISC team. In this role you will support the FAA's Eastern Service Area (ESA) performing design engineering, cost estimating, scheduling, coordinating, inspecting, and acceptance and report project progress and issues against project goals, scope of work, and schedule. The projects support air traffic control facilities over the geographic scope of the ESA. You will ensure accuracy of design, products and timeliness of project completion.
This job is based in the eastern part of the United States, with up to 25% travel.
Mechanical Engineer Primary Responsibilities
- Plan and design a variety of facility establishment, replacement and modernization projects (e.g. HVAC, HVAC controls, chillers, boilers, water distribution, duct work, elevators, plumbing and fire protection systems)
- Perform on-site surveys to develop designs and detailed reports
- Conduct and analyze studies of existing facilities
- Utilize relevant software tools to assist in analysis and design
- Generate sketches showing relation of proposed work in existing or new facilities with specifications and dimensions
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate construction project activities to meet milestones and deadlines working directly with stakeholders and contractors
- Confer with multi-disciplinary engineering staff and other personnel to identify and resolve problems with the design or implementation
- Prepare construction drawings and prepare site-specific specifications and contract documents and independent cost estimates
- Review contractor design and construction submittals
- Perform project management related tasks and communication (including safety plans, sequence of work, cutover plans, risk management plans, lead and asbestos work permits)
- Participate in on-site coordination meetings, inspections, cutovers, testing and restoration of facilities
- Provide periodic updates of project to team, management, and stakeholders
- Provide timely responses for requests for information and project related submittals
- Provide monthly and semi-annual work status reports
- Track and reconcile closure of project punchlist exceptions
- Manage multiple projects towards successful on-time completion
- Perform internal design reviews of other projects
Mechanical Engineer Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university
- Registered Professional Engineer in good standing in the United States
- Four years of relevant experience in commercial, industrial or government facility establishment, replacement and modernization design engineering
- Current and relevant knowledge of building and other codes in order to perform heating and cooling load calculations, ductwork sizing and layout, piping calculations and distribution, sections/elevations and equipment sizing and selection
- Ability to manage multiple projects, tasks and deadlines through to completion
- Ability to provide technical assistance and recommendations regarding the closure of punchlist items
- Ability to conduct efficient, organized data gathering and data analysis
- Ability to develop project plans, establish project schedules, project estimates
- Ability to accomplish clear and concise general and technical writing and tactfully coordinate with a variety of project stakeholders, peers and management levels
- Ability to maintain an electronic project folder
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, engineering scheduling tools and applications, and be able to use the internet as an information gathering and communicating tool
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
Mechanical Engineer Preferred Qualifications
- Proficiency using AutoCAD / Microstation to create and edit engineering drawings
- Proficiency in engineering analysis and design software tools
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges through science and technology.
Pay Range:Pay Range $81,250.00 - $146,875.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.