Are you interested in shaping the future of transportation? Leidos is seeking an on-site transportation Assistant Lab Manager to lead our emerging technologies research lab and provide management of both supporting staff and facility. The oversight of a lab and onsite infrastructure includes a fleet of vehicles with automated driving systems, wired and wireless communications to support a variety of existing and prototype hardware, climate-controlled garage for vehicle augmentation, space for the testing of hardware, and space to enable engineers to operate efficiently.
Leidos has created USDOT’s premier research facility, FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL) in McLean, VA, defining the future of transportation and Connected & Automated Vehicles (CAV). The laboratory is a national leader and pioneers new research and technologies to improve transportation operations and safety. Onsite and offsite efforts include novel intersection designs, Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA), vehicle-to-infrastructure communications (V2I), Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), spectrum testing, software development, collaboration with industry, deployment, and technology transfer.
Learn more about STOL here!
A successful candidate will be customer focused with strong communication skills to perform communication and outreach activities – including coordinating and leading tours for high profile visitors. The Assistant Lab Manager will develop working knowledge of all ongoing team efforts and services and apply that knowledge in coordination of research activities and resources; both for day-to-day actives and task order project assignments.
An ideal candidate is a self-starter, attentive to details, proactive to customer needs, and can problem-solve on the fly. A successful Assistant Lab Manager will be able to work independently yet is able to efficiently collaborate and develop consensus across programs.
This position provides diverse job functions of both technical and managerial in nature, including but not limited to:
- Develop and implement plans, schedules, budgets, work efforts, proposals, and procedures.
- Update safety assessments, plans, and ensure compliance.
- Act as the daily point of contact (POC) to Government representatives for Lab activities.
- Coordinate client and guest communications, tours, and demonstrations.
- Manage vehicle and equipment inventory which includes tracking, documentation, and ensuring accurate record keeping (to include development of new/better processes).
- Lead procurement, maintenance, and disposal of operations and testbed facility equipment.
- Ensure full maintenance of all vehicles assigned to STOL.
- Proactively coordinate team schedules to ensure asset availability and utilization.
- Coordinating equipment/tools availability for an equipment loan program to offsite users.
- Managing and improving existing operations and develop new support services.
- Produce clear and concise verbal and written communications.
- Lead efficient, effective, and repeatable processes that demonstrates a mature environment.
- Provide technical, lab, and testing support to other team activities onsite and off-site.
- A bachelor’s degree, or higher in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Transportation or similar engineering.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in lab, office, or project management activities.
- Knowledge of Connected and Automated Vehicles, Intelligent Transportation Systems, and the transportation industry preferred.
- Effective time management and prioritization of multiple simultaneous tasks.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance (which includes 3 years of immediate residency in the US).
- Must have valid US Driver's License.
- Prior experience as a technical lead.
- Understanding of business, government consulting, and business development.
- Prior experience in IT, networking, data management, artificial intelligence, cyber security, software development or related field.
- Prior experience in helpdesk services or technical support
- Experience leading a team of engineers and technical specialists.
- Excellent judgement and decision making.
- Follow-through to confirm that implemented strategies are effective and meet requirements.
- Motivation to identify areas of improvement that lack clearly defined guidelines to find the best solutions.
- Ability to foster a Lab identity and reputation by ensuring our physical space, culture, and project tools are in alignment with client goals.
- Ability to enable a positive work environment by engaging and empowering staff to take ownership, learn about the diverse projects, and initiate solutions to make improvements to better the lab overall.
- Proven leadership with ability to mentor and guide staff.
- Experience and ability to effectively communicate concisely and accurately to leadership and clients.
- Willingness to embrace feedback, in service to staff and client needs.
- Attention to detail and proven experience in following through with ownership of responsibilities.
Anticipated Pay for this Position: $88,000 - $98,000 - $108,000
Pay Range:Pay Range $68,900.00 - $124,550.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:12/11/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.