How will the burgeoning UAS industry's small drones (unpiloted aircraft systems - UAS) be able to fly in their airspace safely? How will they avoid hazards including buildings, highly localized weather conditions, and other nearby UAS? How will they fly safely in an urban environment? NASA is developing an air traffic management system specifically to address this dynamic problem for small UAS flying at low altitudes. The UAS Traffic Management (UTM) project, led by NASA Ames Research Center, has been underway for 3+ years and has produced prototype software that has been extensively tested with participating UAS operators at FAA UAS Test Sites across the country. Development is expanding - this is an unusual opportunity for a software engineer with well-rounded skills to support one of the most rapidly advancing and publicly visible aviation technologies, one that is likely to form the basis of safe and efficient small UAS deployment throughout the country.
You will work on-site at NASA Ames Research Center, in the Aviation Systems Division's UTM team. A major goal of this project is to research, develop, and demonstrate a safe flight environment for small UAS by approving only those flight plans that do not conflict with other UAS flight plans in this airspace, and that do not create hazards. The UTM project has numerous collaborators including government agencies, vendors of UAS and UAS-based services, and universities pursuing related research. UTM technology transfer is underway to the FAA.
Initially, you will focus on developing a GUI (Graphical User Interface) for UTM and integrating that GUI with a video wall display. The initial requirements for the GUI are to provide similar viewing capabilities that are currently supported for UTM using Google Earth on an existing display system. Other GUI support may be required in the future. In addition, you may support various other aspects of the UTM system, including interfacing with other UTM APIs to retrieve and display data in near-real-time.
- Bachelor's degree and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Master's degree with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience
- Experience using AJAX technologies
- Experience using front-end framework and libraries such as Angular, Ember, jQuery, and React
- Experience using front-end testing frameworks such as Mocha
- Experience using Selenium or equivalent
- Must be detail-oriented and able to organize information on Confluence, track actions on Jira, and manage code and code review process using Bitbucket
- Experience (management or development) in cloud (prefer AWS) environment and/or willingness to learn such software as needed
- Excellent verbal communications skills
- Ability to prototype a website or GUI using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or other tools
- Understanding of UAT
- Familiarity with security concepts such as cross-site script and SQL injection
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Scheduled Weekly Hours: