The Leidos Cybersecurity Intelligence & Response Center (CSIRC) has an immediate opening for an experienced, and motivated Systems Engineer. As a Systems Engineer with the CSIRC, you will be an integral part of a team of knowledgeable engineers responsible for technical planning, system hardware-software-network design, development and integration, verification and validation, and fielding of Leidos' cyber defense capabilities. In this role you will support activities like incident response, investigative analysis, and research on existing and emerging cyber threats by working directly with CSIRC analysts to gather infrastructure requirements, perform requirements analysis, work through the formal change control process, stay abreast of new technologies and capabilities, and make best-practice recommendations. You will apply expert level knowledge to design, test, deploy, and manage a complex infrastructure supporting critical network defense systems.
- Responsible for product and environment design of the CSIRC network defense infrastructure.
- Engagement with Cyber Operations engineers to ensure effective implementation, management, monitoring, and maintenance of the overall network defense system.
- Maintain and update design release documentation, system documentation, and network diagrams.
- Thoroughly document and work through any exceptions to corporate policy through established waiver process.
- Optimize system operations and resources utilization, and perform system capacity analysis and planning.
- Provide technical guidance to the CSIRC and/or the lines of businesses during investigations or incident response.
- Participation in internal technical meetings and design reviews.
- Maintain the necessary project plans and documentation of all system builds and modifications.
- Collaboration with team leads and analysts to develop capability requirements.
- Professionally represent the CSIRC as a technical consultant on projects.
- Translate loosely defined requirements into solutions.
- Presenting solutions to management with fully formed proposals and documentation.
- Continuously improving team-internal processes, covering design, implementation and validation.
- Provide direct and responsive support for urgent analytic needs.
- Provide on-call support for incident response efforts outside of core hours as needed.
- Bachelor's degree and minimum 4 years of experience in Systems Engineering, System Administration, DevOps, or related role.
- Must be US Citizen and able to obtain Secret security clearance.
- Strong experience administering and troubleshooting Linux-based servers.
- Experience with Change Board processes.
- Experience with Linux and Windows virtualization.
- System Project Design and lifecycle experience (waterfall/agile).
- Experience with system and application monitoring, software distribution, patching and maintenance in a Linux environment.
- Understanding of key networking concepts such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), OSI model and DNS.
- Proven aptitude working with several of the following technologies/processes: Unix/Linux and/or Windows system administration, database administration, web server administration.
- Ability to communicate effectively via multiple channels with technical and non-technical staff.
- Effective project and time management skills.
- Understanding of behavioral based threat models, including ATT&CK, Cyber Kill Chain, Diamond Model, etc.
- Understanding of Cyber Security & Information Security technology.
- Experience scripting in some of the common languages, such as Bash, Perl, and/or Python.
- 2-3 years of overall software development experience.
- Comfortable with Software Development Life Cycles, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery/Deployment.
- Proficient at designing software systems; from high-availability large-scale distributed systems to scripted solutions.
- Experience with configuration management tools such Salt or Puppet.
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service.
- Cloud experience.
- Experience with server-side web-application development.
- Familiarity with analysis, including Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.
- Strong metrics and operational excellence focus.
- Experience administering and deploying development CI/CD tools such as Git, Jira, GitLab, or Jenkins.
- RHCE proficiency or equivalent experience.