Leidos Defense and Intelligence Group is seeking a Kafka Software and Data Engineer to support our DISA Joint Regional Security Stack (JRSS) team in Springfield, VA or Ft. Meade MD. You must hold an active Secret Clearance to qualify and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance.
In this role the you will support the design, development, testing and deployment of a Kafka-based data brokering solution, an open-source stream-processing software platform, within the JRSS architecture.
Review and provide inputs on overall systems and detailed engineering plans
Provide analysis and support for the architecture and design of a Kafka-based data brokering system.
Build, integrate, and test prototypes and final implementations in the Ft. Meade Lab.
Deploy the Kafka systems into production.
Provide tier 2 and 3 operational support of the Kafka software as needed.
- Requires BS degree and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6+ years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain. Equivalent work experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Must hold active Secret clearance with eligibility to obtain and maintain Top Secret clearance.
- Must possess DOD 8570, IAT Level II (Sec+ or equivalent) certifications
- Experience with Linux, Process Management, Network monitoring, IO Monitoring, Memory management and theory, Linux services start/stop knowledge
- Experience with messaging systems, Pub / sub, Topics vs Queues
- Understanding of Big Data and cluster computing concepts, Sharding (partitions), Resiliency of service and data, Protections against failure
- Programming language Proficiencies of (at least one): Java, Python, Go
- Experience with data munging (parsing, Regular expressions, etc.)
- Knowledge of data serialization and formats, Avro, JSON, Parquet
- Experience with Kafka Brokers/ Kafka Connect
- Experience with KSQL
- Experience with Zookeeper
- Experience designing, building, and operating stateful applications (eg. Search, newsfeeds/timelines, metrics pipeline)
- Experience building and operating multi-tier web applications, including REST APIs
- Experience with 2 or more of the following databases: RDBMS (Postgres, Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer), NoSQL (Cassandra, MongoDB, HBase)
- Basic Network Experience-TCP/IP, Firewalls / Firewall Rules
- Importance of Network Time and Name Resolution
- Data Encryption - using library like JCE
- Certificates - Server vs. Client
- Ability to generate root and child certs
- Troubleshooting of CA and Server Certs
- Messaging Experience (e.g., JMS, IBM MQ, Tibco, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ)
- Experience with and understanding of data formats and serialization options
- Familiarity with Flink, Storm, Spark
- Familiarity with Microservices
- Involvement in the Open Source Development / Community
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Defense & Intel