Homeland Security Sector is seeking a Public Relations Analyst to support the National Marine Fisheries Service's (NMFS) - Office of Law Enforcement (OLE). Candidate will serve as the supporting communications specialist for this organization. The National Marine Fisheries Service's Office for Law Enforcement (OLE) enforces laws that protect and conserve our nation's living marine resources and their natural habitat. OLE Special Agents and Enforcement Officers are sworn law enforcement officers with specified authority to make arrests and enforce over 37 statutes, as well as numerous treaties related to the conservation and protection of marine resources. To effectively enforce these statutes, OLE operates 5 divisional offices and 53 field offices across the U.S. and overseas.
- Assists with the planning, organizing, and execution of complex public outreach projects.
- Maintains day-to-day communications program to identify, develop and administer communication/outreach plans and strategies to meet communications needs and partnering opportunities.
- Assists OLE staff in drafting responses to requests from various governmental and nongovernmental organizations for information, materials and recruitment information.
- Serves as initial point of contact to coordinate OLE responses to media and other types of inquiries.
- Drafts and maintains internal and external communications strategies.
- Drafts articles, brochures, educational items, flyers, briefs, presentations and other materials for dissemination to the public via the OLE website, media, in-person events and other methods.
- Assists staff with improving methods used to reach target audience, including messaging used to encourage compliance with marine resource laws.
- Drafts and coordinates OLE's social media efforts to amplify OLE enforcement activities.
- Assists with OLE's outreach efforts and programs through coordination with trade shows, schools, universities, aquariums, zoos and other marine related institutions.
- Manages the OLE online presence, including the creation of and posting of new content. Edits webpages as needed.
- Drafts strategic documents including Annual Report and 5-year Priorities.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: ( list the "must have" requirements to be considered for hire )
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field; or equivalent and 4+ years of related experience.
Candidates should be:
- Proficient with Adobe creative software, such as InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator;
- Experienced in Drupal or similar web development content management systems;
- Proficient in 508 Compliance - testing and creating documents;
- Skilled in effective communication, both orally and in writing, with a diverse audience including national, regional and international agencies;
- Highly skilled in data processing and information technology computer systems and MS Office applications
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: ( list additional "pluses or nice to have" skills/experience )
- Experience with Federal Law Enforcement
- Knowledge of Natural Resources/Wildlife Law Enforcement
- Sufficient knowledge of regional and national fisheries management and enforcement agencies.
- Knowledge of managerial principles to plan, organize and execute difficult work projects. Must.
- Must be able to pass basic security screening and may be required to have or be eligible for a secret level security clearance.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Scheduled Weekly Hours: