No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself. We welcome your perspective and ideas, in order to foster collaboration and deliver world-class solutions. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute's "World's Most Ethical Companies"
Leidos...We strive to make the complex clear
An experienced Ph.D. level scientist is sought for supporting Rare Earth Element research and development across multiple disciplines. (Characterization, Separation & Material Selection)
- Provide research expertise in novel methods of extraction of REE's from coal and coal byproduct materials. The support will include such methods as; leaching, chemical extraction, reactive grinding, and associated characterization. Familiarity with multiple methods is necessary for success.
- Provide a lead role in management of the REE sample bank. This job function will include the collection, processing, handling, submission, and analysis of elemental data for REE field samples.
- Provide research expertise with a good understanding of separation, sensing, and characterization methods practiced or under development at NETL.
- Support the Mineral Processing Lab for crushing, grinding, sieving.
- Support to the Activity/Task Manager in various tasks in an effort to provide a REE technical expert to assist in the oversight of the activity.
- Responsible for generation of information about types and concentrations of REEs, their associations with mineral and other phases in the materials of interest, and their pertinent physical properties.
- Responsible for the development and evaluation of lab-scale physical, mechanical, and chemical separation techniques to extract/concentrate REEs from coal and coal by-product materials.
- Responsible for; identification of field sites that contain high concentrations of REEs, identification of proper sampling procedures, identify promising abundant and high REE materials for characterization and separation studies at NETL.
- An update will be due by the end of each month briefly describing the accomplishments from that month and the next month's forecast. Also, the applicant will include the relevant status of patents, publications or presentations. Reported information concerning publications and presentations shall include full title, author listing and journal or society name.
- An update will be due by the end of the quarter briefly describing that quarter's accomplishments.
- The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers. The manager will request the applicant to provide a PowerPoint presentation for group meetings. The frequency of these presentations are generally once every 6 months but can occur at a higher rate.
- This position requires a Ph.D. degree in professional studies of Chemical Engineering.
- Extensive history of peer reviewed journal articles.
- A good presentation record at national and international conferences.
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of Rare Earth Elements.
- Experience in coal preparation methodology. (Mineral processing)
- This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization skills and an attention to detail
- The candidate should have some leadership experience.
- Preferably, the prospective employee would be familiar with working in a GOGO (Government Owned Government Operated) national laboratory environment.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours: